Ravelli RV80 - Problem: Air Flow Meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m glad you received them in a timely fashion. The meter that is darkened is the only one of my 3 failed boards that will not allow the stove to start. The others allow full fire then go into a low run alarm state.

Here is what I am willing to say is the same sensor,same specs, except it is on a ribbon cable,AND uses old style through hole thermistors. Searching net,I do not see high failure rates as reported with the Ravelli one.It is used in almost all La Nordica Extraflame pellet stoves.

41q0cgVDr4L._AC_SY450_.jpg

Yes, that looks like an earlier version, with thru-hole parts, before the surface mount version that I am investigating. Even the electrical pin-out is the same.

I think the surface mount thermistor chips that are currently used are the problem. They have an oddball construction from every other thermistor chip, which may explain their poor stability (value drift problem).

Reactions: Ssyko and Mt Bob
Yes, that looks like an earlier version, with thru-hole parts, before the surface mount version that I am investigating. Even the electrical pin-out is the same.

I think the surface mount thermistor chips that are currently used are the problem. They have an oddball construction from every other thermistor chip, which may explain their poor stability (value drift problem).
Yep,I think you are on to something.A good fix might be going back to old style,easy to do.

I just noticed a typo in my previous post (#99)of the measurements, the R1 heater resistors are 75 Ohms, not 750 Ohms.

Update: I received a good airflow sensor from "Monica in France" (thanks!), I will test it and complete my evaluation shortly. I think I can fix these with better longer-lasting parts. Stay tuned.

Very exciting 👍🙂. I am dependent on these parts since my software version does not have provision to disable the debimeter.

Very exciting 👍🙂. I am dependent on these parts since my software version does not have provision to disable the debimeter.
While looking for something else,I just found Earth Sense Energy Systems has reduced the price of them from $80 to $60, in case you want to get a spare.

Update: The better quality replacement thermistors have been identified, and an order placed. I should have these parts in about a week, and then I will install them onto the two failed sensor boards that Manly sent me.

Last edited:
The code is 11 to disable the "debimeter" (airflow meter).
Private message me your email address and I can send you the Tech Manuals for Ravelli RDS stoves.
Hello! Happy After holidays haha. You had mentioned you had a tech service book for the ravellis with the RDS system? I have a RV80 ( that has almost 11000 hours on it at 3 years old haha. It does have a few issues and would love if you had the manual? Thank you Brian Parsons

[email protected]

The repaired airflow sensors, with new and hopefully more durable thermistor parts have been sent to Manly....he will see how they work.

The repaired airflow sensors, with new and hopefully more durable thermistor parts have been sent to Manly....he will see how they work.
Update. The repaired/upgraded flow meters arrived today. One has been installed and the outside air reattached. The Francesca is running as a primary heat source. Any change of status on this stove will be reported here. We are heading into real winter now.

update: on the old rv-80, during the pandemic I could not get the part anymore... desperate, I finally figured out that I could set the RDS to ignore the air flow sensor completely.. and it's been running fine this way for a couple of years now.

Manly: Any update on the repaired airflow sensor?
The repaired debimeter (air flow sensor) is working wonderfully. It was installed about mid season last year and has been running great ever since. This is the longest run we’ve ever had with this stove since installation. This small Ravelli Francesca provides 50% of our heating requirements. Our Francesca is apparently an early version of the RDS system as it has the old style 7 button keyboard and archaic looking graphic screen. There is definitely no turning off the flow meter in the firmware. This repaired flow meter is a big problem solved for our household. Thank you Pelleting in NJ for your time and skill on this matter. Our original lemon of a stove is now a real peach🍑

Pelleting In NJ - you mentioned that you found better quality thermistors for the RV80 airflow sensor. The ones you fixed seemed to work for "Manly", so I was hoping you could let me know the specs on those thermistors, and maybe where I could order them. I have a pile of failed sensors that I would like to try to fix/upgrade, since the replacement sensors do not last very long. Thanks.

The replacement thermistor is made by Murata, part number = NCU18XH103F6SRB, DigiKey pn = 490-18139-1-ND
16 cents each !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ABusWrench