RE: Article about rainy weather = unseasoned wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake, that article is just one more example of why I say people should have 2-3 years of wood supply on hand all of the time. Wood don't dry too much this year? No problem. We'll burn it next year or the year after...

I'm sort of having the same problem. I have a few weeks of shorts and ends left and they're a tad wet. They were on the bottom of the pile where the wind didn't get to them. They've been set aside for next year. So far, the stacks have been fine, but I'm burning the outter stack now. Inner ones may not be so good.

Finally I'm in the process of moving to a new house. I set up an Englander there, but if the stacks are wet I'm not really going to burn it. I don't want to clean the freshly lined chimney if I don't have to. Oil is fairly cheap this year. With the moves, newborn, going back to school, etc I don't know if I want to let the wood season for another year or not. There are 2 years of the amount of wood used at this house stacked and drying. I have another 3/4 of a year sitting in rounds. (upcoming splitter gloat in planning)

Matt

Matt, congratulations on that new house.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, that article is just one more example of why I say people should have 2-3 years of wood supply on hand all of the time. Wood don't dry too much this year? No problem. We'll burn it next year or the year after...
Its ruff to turn that corner

Jay, you are right, but it is about like the old pitcher pumps. You had to prime that old pump to get it going (I need priming from time to time too) and you didn't dare stop lest you lose the priming, but once you got that water coming really good, then you could just gently keep on pumping and get all the water you needed.

With wood burning, you are right. It is tough and you have to keep on pumping that handle, but once you turn the corner, then you only need to cut every year only what you burn. Just a little easy steady pressure on that handle and the water keeps on coming...

The guy in the photo (part of the article in the original post) is carrying a log that would be cut in half then split about five times before it ended up in my wood pile. No wonder it isn't dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.