"RE Burn" Tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormyone

Dec 30, 2013
North Carolina
I notice that my stove and several other non cat stoves have re burn tubes in them. IS their a way to look at the fire and tell if secondaries are working? Will their actually be what looks like fire comming from the holes in the tubes? Sorry for all of the questions just really wanting to learn!

Once you see a secondary burn you'll probably never forget it . . . how they look depends a lot on temps, draft, when you turn down the air, stove construction, etc.

In general a secondary burn may manifest itself by . . .

. . . no to slow, lazy flames on the wood and some flames showing in the upper third of the firebox

. . . intense jets of flame shooting out of the secondary burn tubes like a propane gas BBQ

. . . no to slow, lazy flames on the wood and occasional bursts of flames in the top of the firebox . . . almost like silent fireworks

. .. it appears as though a Portal to Hell has opened up in your woodstove as torrents of hellfire appear to have been unleashed from the secondary burn tubes and you immediately fall to your knees and repent

Pretty much any of these would qualify as signs of a secondary burn.

Yes, streams of flames coming out the holes while the secondaries are burning off the nasties. After a while though, they may die out, this in no way means the stove is not operating properly.
If it is up to temp and putting out heat, good to go.

Oh yeah, one more thing . . . never be sorry for asking questions. Here at this site we all learn from each other . . . heck, I'm still learning from folks.

So if you have questions . . . ask away . . . even if it's a question that we may have heard asked a thousand times before . . . by the way, it's fine to burn pine, Super Cedars are great for starting fires and yes . . . Jags does bear a passing resemblance to Bruce Wayne. :)

Welcome to the forum Wormyone. Your question tells me you are pretty new to burning with an EPA stove. I would suggest you read the manual that came with your stove (it will be helpful to us if you post some information about your stove: how is it set up?, what make is it?, where is it located in the house?) and even a photo or two. If you have the time peruse the forum and read archived posts on topics that interest you. I must have read a few hundred old posts when I first discovered this forum and I probably doubled my knowledge on wood burning in a few days and I've been heating exclusively with wood for over 25 years. Good luck.

And when you see if for the first time you will be totally mesmerized - it is so cool. Fire bursting from the top of the stove and nothing in the bottom or even better the lazy fire with intermittent bursts coming mysteriously out of the top of the fire box.

Yup - you will know

Kind of like asking how long is a rope? Lots of variables but it can start rather early with the right conditions(wood/lay-up/etc.) but the good stuff at 350-400 and beyond

nc-30kickin.JPG

picture-008-jpg.119788

Nice packing on pic #2. Square splits are da bomb.

Reactions: PLAYS WITH FIRE
I never know when the secondaries will kick in. I have my expected norm temps but then sometimes I get surprised. You will learn your stove. Experiment. It takes time. Keep asking questions here because this place has a lot of experience and knowledge, and we love to share it and receive it.

That roll in the first shot was the first season with not dry enough red oak. The lignin in that stuff took off and that atomic bomb blast went on for a half hour.

Reactions: tfdchief
The second one was last month. playing with the new camera and showing that the guy that thinks secondary burn light shows are silly can kick it in. After the pic I gave it some primary air so it could go back to burning the way God intended trees to be burned.

picture-007-jpg.119787

hard to say how God intended trees to be burned. Maybe like this?

Lag_BaOmer_bonfire.jpg

The second one was last month. playing with the new camera and showing that the guy that thinks secondary burn light shows are silly can kick it in. After the pic I gave it some primary air so it could go back to burning the way God intended trees to be burned.

picture-007-jpg.119787
I love it. Sounds like a guy who has burned a few old stoves, like me.;) And still does!

That should be measured in yards.

staring at a very similar complete secondary inferno in the 30 right now while watching Johnny Football make a comeback. Go A&M

Poor pic but that is 700 on top and has been for a couple hours on Cherry and Ash at 15%MC

DSCF2071.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This is more on the lines of the portal to hell firefighterjake was talking about even thought it doesn't look to intense in the pic believe me it is. This is my night load started at 11:30 Tuesday night. Excuse the dirty ash lip.
IMG_0082 (800x800).jpg

staring at a very similar complete secondary inferno in the 30 right now while watching Johnny Football make a comeback. Go A&M

Poor pic but that is 700 on top and has been for a couple hours on Cherry and Ash at 15%MC

View attachment 122361

isnt 700 on the nc30 considered overfire? if not what do you consider the top temp to be when overfiring it?

700 seems to be the high end of my cruising temp and it only hits this with a large load onto a hot bed of coals. Typically during really cold spell like we are having recently where I am loading at 400 instead of 300 or less. If I reload at 250/300 my top end is 6-650 and cruise around 600.

Keep in mind the Condar therm says 700 - that may be off but it works for me.

Over fire for me is when it keeps on climbing in temp with no stop sign. When I hit these 6-700 temps it is at peak heat and stops dead. Stove likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.