RE: Changes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Hello Hearth friends . . . thought I would update some of you about some fairly significant changes in my life.

First off, after 26 years on the job I am retiring at the end of this month. I always figured I would keep working either until I could qualify for Medicare or (more likely) died at my desk. However, a job opportunity presented itself and the challenges it affords, how well my skills would translate over into this job and (to be frank) how it makes sense fiscally . . . well it just pretty much made sense to retire and start a new career.

There will be some adjustments needed . . . I need to actually purchase a smart phone, need to buy actual button down shirts and khakis (after wearing the same style of uniform for 26 years) and I will need to set up a home office.

Second . . . this job has two days at home and three days on the road. As such I can live pretty much anywhere in Maine and so my wife and I are looking at moving further north (exactly how far and where north is still up in the air). Wherever I go you can bet I will have a woodstove. As I told my wife I plan to take as much firewood with me as I can and unless the folks who buy our home are willing to pony up the money I am not just giving away my beloved Jotul Oslo -- especially since I am still a bit wary of the latest incarnation.

Have to confess . . . at times I have a bit of trepidation . . . at other times it's a border-line giddiness. I suspect I will have a fair amount of stress in the coming few weeks with the new job, selling the house and buying a house.

Nice! I’m in the same boat, actually. Scary, not having that old reliable paycheck coming in every second week, but there is just so much new opportunity out there right now, that it’s the perfect time to risk trying something new. Personally, I’ve been approached and pursued for more work than I know how to deal with, I hope it is the same with you, although you didn’t really say if you’re going to be an employee or independent.

If you have any specific questions or need any help, contact me on the back channel. There are at least a few others I’ve noticed here, operating small businesses out of home offices, you’re in good company.

Congrats, unless you are wed to Maine, northern NH has some attractions ;). I was supposed to be fully retired by now but I committed to hanging around supporting two projects that hopefully is over by fall. Hard to concentrate now that the spring is in full bloom. One thing to my advantage is no need to dress up for the clients anymore ;), they know that I am a short timer and if they give me too much crap, I do not need to be there. Its going to cost me to pay for ACA insurance for 3 more years until Medicare kicks in but the subsidies kick in once I stop working.

Given the exposure to environmental toxins in firefighting, getting off that train is not a bad thing, I have just run into too many long termers who waited until Medicare that didnt need it long as health issues kicked in pretty quick.

We definitely will be interested in how things go.

I think where we live is technically north of you 🤣

Good luck to you in this new endeavor.

Reactions: vinny11950
Congratulations Jake! I hope the new adventures are fulfilling and exciting. The new firm is lucky to get someone of your caliber.
Good luck with the home hunt and yes, keep the Oslo and wood unless the offering sale price is excellent.

I just turned 61 and retired the end of January. At some point I’ll go to work someplace but for now my mile long list of unfinished projects is priority 1.
Moosehead is about as far north as I wanta live but I’ll head north anytime. We were going to run south to Bangor this week but the weather was too nice and the black flies are not out yet.

I pulled the cork on corporate employment 30 years ago. At the time typical family guy - mortgage, car payments, 3 offspring ect. with the avg. debt load for others in same. I went to work for myself- scary as there was/is no umbrella at all for me. little different as I shed all those fancy clothes. I have managed to stay a float even though I have been hammered by Gov. policies, Obama care, a divorce (that cleaned me out)and a couple medical emergencies. Had to start over. Covid stuff has hurt but I'm still here - just to mean and ornery to give up I guess. I am 71, so it can be done.

Congrats. I love hearing that the American dream is alive and well. As an early retiree I understand the reaction to both the unknown and the giddy feeling of doing your thing, what ever that "thing" is. Knock it out of the park, FFJ.

congrats jake. hope you find time to do nothing but what you want. i'll be doing the same thing if my body holds out another 4 years.

I just turned 61 and retired the end of January. At some point I’ll go to work someplace but for now my mile long list of unfinished projects is priority 1.
Moosehead is about as far north as I wanta live but I’ll head north anytime. We were going to run south to Bangor this week but the weather was too nice and the black flies are not out yet.
Come down to Unity if you miss the blackflies . . . they've been out now for a few days.

Come down to Unity if you miss the blackflies . . . they've been out now for a few days.
😂
We were out yesterday enjoying the beautiful day with friends but when leaving a stop on Adam’s Dam Rd the hatch had just become airborne.
Great day for a woods road trip. The top of Misery Ridge provided a great view. I hope those whirlybirds do not get placed on this Ridge or anywhere else in this region. They sure are ugly over in Kingsbury.

They've been out here for the last week, but not in miserable numbers, yet. I'll be wearing a net while working outside soon.

I picked up some Picadin based repellent to try this spring, but the bug net is on the back.

Unless you have encountered New England backcountry blackflies you will learn that DEET is about the only thing that makes them tolerable without a bug suit in the spring.

Unless you have encountered New England backcountry blackflies you will learn that DEET is about the only thing that makes them tolerable without a bug suit in the spring.
Even then they drive you insane!!

Ol' Woodsman used to work pretty well . . . smelled like a combination of pine pitch, tar and moose piss, but it worked really well at pretty much repelling everything . . . and everyone. I use to see it for sale at the local general stores, but haven't seen it on the shelves in a long time.

Ol' Woodsman used to work pretty well . . . smelled like a combination of pine pitch, tar and moose piss, but it worked really well at pretty much repelling everything . . . and everyone. I use to see it for sale at the local general stores, but haven't seen it on the shelves in a long time.
Looks like they sell direct

Reactions: firefighterjake
If you have tried dettol and it didn't work, then I will concede. If you haven't tried it, you might want to.

Yesterday was my 63rd birthday. I plan to work 7 more years. (Mainly due to poor choices when I was young...)

I wish you well in your career change!