? Re: cleaning chimney on Earth Stove Colony Hearth insert model C200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SMORGA24

Nov 30, 2022
Fordyce Arkansas
This is an insert that was in the fireplace when we bought the house. We have been getting someone to climb on the roof and use a wire chimney brush but only a small amount of debris falls into the stove floor. Now that I have found instructions for placement, I see that there is a damper in the top that is maybe 18 inches wide. So I am guessing that the debris is collecting on the top of the stove shell??? We only burn maybe 1/2 cord of old oak wood a year and only see vapor instead of dark smoke come from chimney. We only burn with the door closed and there is good rise of air with the damper open.
Do I need to pull the insert out and vacuum the shell top? I have found a few comments about cleaning the chimney before placing the insert but nothing about cleaning the chimney after the insert is in place. Any comments are much appreciated. AA262CA2-CB7D-4B59-B1C9-ED2E86719FAF.jpeg

This would depend on how it is installed. Does the chimney have a stainless liner in it connected to the stove?

Not connected to anything. It just sets under the open damper of the original fireplace. It was hard, but I have scooted it out before to get the weight off and replace the fans. I didn’t notice debris on it before, but then again I had my attention on the fan replacement.

Sounds like it will need to be pulled to inspect.

This is known as a slammer install and is no longer permitted. It should have a liner on it.