Re-discovering Harman stove temp.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
ok... after a few years of burning and doing all modes I finally gave up the ghost and found stove[constant] to be the most consistant for steady heat that keeps the thermostat in the main living area spot on same temp.
this of course when temps are going to be no higher than 30 degrees..
room/auto works well on those days the temps will jump in the afternoon as we gets lots of sun facing us.

I always stayed away from stove mode since it's understood that it uses more pellets. . with a steady heat flow I can lower my temp and fan speed a bit so not really using that much more. I'm going to use 3/half to 4 tons each year regardless...

many say they use room/manual mode but my problem with that is there are periods of time that the distribution blower shuts off [as it should when temp is reached] in maint mode but 10- 15 minutes or more of heat just going up and out the exhaust pipe to me is a waste..stove modes fan never shuts off.... also, running manual just to save the ignitor is not reason enough, I have changed them and it's ezpz... at least with room/auto the dist blower squeezes out every bit of heat it has till it ramps down and at times shut off.

one other note and this I think is Key:
we have a not well insulated house and it can cool down very quick so we can lose heat quicker .
stove mode keeps it steady all the time..[we burn 24/7].. But, if your house is tighter than a babys Butt
stove mode may end up being a bit too hot after a while and manual may be better but still, sending heat out the exhaust and Not into the dwelling while the dist blower is off in any mode is questionable...... my 2 cents.......

Last edited:
I currently have the P43 in stove/auto because it is in the negative digits. During the day I put it on Room temp and let it run off the thermostat I have it hooked up to. If I let it run all day I would be facing a very hot house when I got home (been there, done that - but only heating 950 sq/ft). On cold nights, when letting the thermostat handle it, it would just continuously shut down then start up. When the nights are in the teens, the thermostat option works best for me. I don't use room/manual because of the fan issue and it doesn't work as it should anyway because the thermostat hookup messes with how it runs in that mode anyway.

I don't do any particular mode to save pellets, I use what works best for the situation to keep my house comfortable. I go thru 5-6 tons per year between the two stoves.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Roger that on what both of you said ^^.

Stove mode on my P43 in the dead of winter,and for the most part I tend to only use the lowest settings on both temp and fan. That being said there are days here recently when I either just shut er down,or switch over to room/manual just to keep it up and running. Like what both of you stated--pellet usage is constant with the current state of my Upper Peninsula of Michigans temperature swings. I love the heat and will never go back to propane scorched air. NEVER!

Reactions: bogieb and Tonyray
I don't do any particular mode to save pellets, I use what works best for the situation to keep my house comfortable.

bingo.png

Dan

I really like room temp/manual. I grew up with a wood stove with no fans, so the ambient heat off the stove kept our entire house warm with no backup heat. When your fan is off, the heat isn't being wasted out the chimney, it's still coming off the stove, just not quite as efficiently.

I don't like constant burn, because if you are comfortable at a specific temperature, you are constantly fiddling with the settings to achieve that temperature. I don't want my house to be 90 on a 40 degree day, or 60 on a 0 degree day. In the last 30 days we've had outside temperatures ranging from -8 to 50, and I kept it on room temp manual and enjoyed the constant temperature without fiddling with it.

The last couple days it's been in the 50s and 60s, so I flipped the switch to auto ignite, and the stove stays off more than it's on, but I miss the warm floors and walls that manual mode creates. I don't miss dumping a bag of pellets in every day though!

Last edited:
Programmable thermostat for my Invincible insert keeps house cooler at night and during day when not home, but I wake up to and return home from work to... a toasty house. It would be nice to figure out a mod to keep the distribution motor running on low when the thermostat puts the stove in intermittent maintenance mode but I wonder how much money in fuel that would save vs. electric motor usage?

I really like room temp/manual. I grew up with a wood stove with no fans, so the ambient heat off the stove kept our entire house warm with no backup heat. When your fan is off, the heat isn't being wasted out the chimney, it's still coming off the stove, just not quite as efficiently.

I don't like constant burn, because if you are comfortable at a specific temperature, you are constantly fiddling with the settings to achieve that temperature. I don't want my house to be 90 on a 40 degree day, or 60 on a 0 degree day. In the last 30 days we've had outside temperatures ranging from -8 to 50, and I kept it on room temp manual and enjoyed the constant temperature without fiddling with it.

The last couple days it's been in the 50s and 60s, so I flipped the switch to auto ignite, and the stove stays off more than it's on, but I miss the warm floors and walls that manual mode creates. I don't miss dumping a bag of pellets in every day though![/

Constant mode can be tricky but if you use it on days that the temps will not get above 30 it's not a problem. I am probably 50-50 on constant mode and the room Auto modes. For a long time I never used stove or constant ever.