RE: Insulating around Wall Thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Quick question . . . probably one of those "well duh" kind of questions, but I'll ask anyways.

Install on the Jotul is finished . . . more or less. I was wondering however about the space around the insulated wall thimble pass through thingamajiggy. The hole cut was square, the insulated pass-through pipe was round. As a result there are a few void areas between the studs and insulated pipe. Can I place fiberglass (no paper backing) insulation in these void areas to minimize heat loss from the home and air penetration . . . or zero clearance insulation . . . or am I just better off leaving nothing in these small areas?

P.S. Fired up my Jotul last night for the first and second of four break in fires. Gotta say it was quite exciting and mesmerizing . . . this stove runs quite different from my old Shenandoah (kind of looked like one of those old Ashley steel stove surrounded by a "cabinet.") I did inadvertently allow the fire to get to 250 degrees on the first firing (supposed to keep it to 200), but on the second test fire I was able to learn from my first mistake and use the wood (amount and type) and air flow to better regulate the temp and maintain it at 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.