RE: Jotul users . . . Step by step fix for sticking air control lever

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I had some time this past weekend . . . I mean I took a picture of my napping cat so you know I was a bit bored.

In any case, my air control lever was a bit sticky and the stove had gone down to small coals so it was relatively cool so I figured I might as well open up the doghouse and apply some graphite . . . a step I did at the start of the heating season back in September. I find that over time sometimes the fine ash works its way into the doghouse and so a cleaning and application of graphite can be useful.

Incidentally, anyone can do this . . . even a dumb firefighter . . . I mean, you really can't mess this up . . . and you'll be glad you did this if you have the sticking lever as that lever will slide slicker than ___ on ice when you're done.

Difficulty Scale: Easy Peasy . . . even Firefighterjake can do it

Tools: Graphite powder from any hardware store, 10 mm socket or 18/32 socket if you don't have a metric set (although by now you really should since the world is going metric!), gloves if the stove is still warm to hot, brush

Step 1: When the stove is cool to warm (do not attempt to do this while the stove is a raging inferno with full blown secondaries firing off) open the door and clean out around the doghouse. I use my trusty brush . . . the one my wife lets me use . . . she gets to use the good brush . . . but then again that's probably because she figures this is an old brush and if I burn it up, it's no great loss.

index.php

Step 2: Using your 10 mm socket or 18/32 socket un-bolt the two bolts holding the doghouse to the stove frame. As you no doubt remember, lefty loosy, righty tighty . . . and i before e . . . and never cross the road without looking both ways. If the stove is still warm (as it was this day) I would strongly suggest using gloves . . when you pull out the bolts unless of course you want to add in Step 2B which involves a brief visit to the Emergency Room or Optional Step 2B1 which involves you running your blistered fingers under cool water and then looking for a bandaid and some aloe.

index.php

As you can see there isn't a lot to this . . . two bolts, two washers and the doghouse.

index.php

Step 3: At this point you will want to clean out the ash . . . in this case I used my brush and gently brushed out the ash. I also gently blew some away. I suppose you could also use a vaccuum to suck up some of the ash . . . but I would be very, very leary of doing this if I didn't have an ash vac.

Here you can see some of the ash that has built up.

index.php

And just in case you were wondering what you were doing when you opened and closed the air control lever . . . here's a look inside. First shot shows the air control "closed" all the way, second shot shows the air control open halfway and the final shot in this sequence shows the air control open. Incidentally, I took these shots since I was sliding the air control back and forth to dislodge some of the ash caught underneath the sliding mechanism.

Attachments

• step3a.jpg
    step3a.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 606
  • step3b.jpg
    step3b.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 582
  • step3c.jpg
    step3c.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 613
So we're still on Step 3 and after dislodging a little more ash I began sweeping it out . . . I would slide the air control back and forth for a bit, some ash would dislodge and I would gently blow it out of the mechanism or sweep it out of the way.

index.php

Step 4: Apply graphite . . . and be liberal. I apply the graphite to both sides of the "rails" on which the sliding mechanism slides and the base underneath. Work the air control back and forth . . . in no time the air control will be sliding as if new . . . maybe even better than new. Trust me on this one. If you have been living with a sticking lever the change will amaze you.

index.php

As you can see from this photo . . . I like using graphite . . . pretty much I cover the whole area in the sparkly, black stuff . . .

index.php

Step 5: I didn't take a pic for this step since it's pretty much an elemental step . . . put the doghouse back on and tighten the bolts . . . and then reload the woodstove and go . . . well I will admit . . . I did clean out some of the ashes since there was quite a bit in there from the day before.

Nice job" firefighterjake" To bad you couldn't use the Jaws of Life to make it seem more difficult for us dumb firefighters. Be safe.
Ed

Ps. Vehicle grants started today. Say a prayer for us.

DAKSY said:
Hey, FFJ...

10 mm = .3937"

18/32 = 9/16 = .5625"

You sure on your sizing?

Hmmm . . . I mostly used the 10 mm . . . but the 18/32 was working for me as well. Ah, just be safe . . . use the 10 mm.

Uh, yesterday all the photos were showing Ok, but today on my computer most of the pics are "broken windows" -- the square with the X and some computer lingo behind it. However, I often find that at this site I'm not seeing photos that are posted . . . is anyone else having problems seeing all of the pics . . . I can see the attached photos . . . but none of the other photos.

firefighterjake said:
Uh, yesterday all the photos were showing Ok, but today on my computer most of the pics are "broken windows" -- the square with the X and some computer lingo behind it. However, I often find that at this site I'm not seeing photos that are posted . . . is anyone else having problems seeing all of the pics . . . I can see the attached photos . . . but none of the other photos.

yep...same here--attached pics I can see but not the others. Thanks for sharing this info BTW

Couldn`t see any of the attached pic`s,,however those posted along with the instructions was very clear to me,,and i dont own one,,good job

FFJake,

I only see 3 photos aligned left to right at the bottom of your first post. All other photos are just showing the red "x".

Shari

firefighterjake said:

How did you insert/link the other pictures?

BeGreen said:
firefighterjake said:

How did you insert/link the other pictures?

Loaded them as attachments, copied the info down (i.e. www.hearthAAABBB) and pasted them into the text using the html code . . . any ideas on how to fix this BeGreen?

Thanks for the tip, my air control is working like new now! The graphite also worked wonders on the squeaking door latches as well! Hey, I think I'll lube the hinges next.

Status
Not open for further replies.