RE: Ribs . . . but not the eating or smoking kind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
About four weeks or so ago I kindof had an incident with my snowmobile that bunged up my ribs and thumb.

Was curious . . . how long does it take for bruised or cracked ribs to heal up? I was feeling better until a few days ago and now my rib is aching and I have a pain in the back . . . when I bend over I find it difficult to breathe. I mean, don't get me wrong, I can still breathe . . . it's just labored and a bit painful (more of a dull pain or ache than a sharp, biting pain.)

Anyone had rib issues that can give me some insight?

Depends on your age. Once you cross a certain threshold, nothing you injure will ever completely heal or stop hurting. For me, that threshold was crossed about 15 years ago. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BrotherBart
Nearing thirty, i had a hockey injury not too long ago. Finished the game, but after that i had the same issues. Went to the doc to make sure nothing was broken (including one of the organs, i forget which one it is, tucked up in there). Turned out to be bruised, but i definitely felt it hard for 2 weeks. Its tough cause the ribs are always moving. I was still aware of the problem a week later, but after 3 i think i was pretty much back to full strength.

Sneeze yet?
The pain will make you think you're going to pass out.
I've injured ribs snowboarding and playing soccer goal keeper.
It took quite a while to heal. Damage to the connective tissue where the ribs attach to the sternum and spine seemed to take the longest to heal.
Far as I know there's not much you can do other than rest them.

had a quad bypass in 2009, split me open like a chicken only hurt for 2 weeks, back to work after 3 weeks

I got thrown off a four wheeler a couple years ago we rolled around together a couple times and when it was all done I had some serious road rash which still feels weird to this day and my ribs were bruised bad. I had to take short breaths that were accompanied by stabbing pain for the first week then for the next three weeks it subsided to a dull ache. All total about a little over a month for me to heal up. I hope you feel better soon I think ribs are one of the worst things to break or bruise.

Cracked a rib, 1-2 weeks to go to a dull ache that would remind me when I sneezed or breathed to deep, and about a month to go away.

Seriously, farting around on a new mountain bike right in front of my garage one day back in about 1991 or so when I lived in San Diego, I fell on my left side onto a speed bump. I heard my rib break CRACK!. It was all I could do to get the bike in the garage, my little daughter and her bike in the garage, shut the door and get myself to the couch before I passed out. I was going into shock. My daughter (~7 or so) took care of me until Marsha arrived. Over to the clinic, Doc confirmed broken rib, gave me a scrip for Percocet and sent me home. Nothing else he could do. Absolutely the most painful injury I've ever experienced. Moving, breathing, trying to get into or out of bed...my God, it was awful. I can't remember how long it took to slowly get better, but it was a bunch of weeks for sure. It was debilitating. Rick

OK . . . sounds like I need to toughen up and just give it more time.

About four weeks or so ago I kindof had an incident with my snowmobile that bunged up my ribs and thumb.

Was curious . . . how long does it take for bruised or cracked ribs to heal up? I was feeling better until a few days ago and now my rib is aching and I have a pain in the back . . . when I bend over I find it difficult to breathe. I mean, don't get me wrong, I can still breathe . . . it's just labored and a bit painful (more of a dull pain or ache than a sharp, biting pain.)

Anyone had rib issues that can give me some insight?

A few years ago I slipped on icy stairs and fell on to them on my back. After gaining my breath and pulling myself out of a mound of snow I went into the house and sat and watch television for about an hour. Went up to bed and when I laid down I couldn't breath and the only way to get out of bed was to roll out onto the floor. Took a trip to the hospital, they weren't much help because the only way they could take X-rays was to have me lay on my back.

I spent the next month almost to the date, sleeping upright in a chair. During that month I tried laying on my back with the same results.

The Hospital never told me my ribs were cracked or broken. About a year after I was at my doctor and she asked how my ribs were and said she saw the rib X-rays and they were in bad shape.

Give it month and see how you feel. Good luck.

I would really like to say "man up, Nancy pants", but I know rib injuries suck.;) Take it easy on them, Jake. Remember, they never stop moving (or at least you hope). 6 to 8 weeks is not uncommon.

Reactions: DAKSY
Had an "incident" myself in 1999, and broke three ribs along with my scapula (big plate of bone in your shoulder). Honestly, the scapula break was so bad, neither I or the ER doctors even noticed the broken ribs, until I saw an orthopedic surgeon a few days later. In any case, pain lasted about two weeks, and discomfort perhaps another 4 weeks after that, but I was only 25 at the time.

The worst parts for me were:

1. Getting out of bed.
2. Getting down into bed.
3. Laughing.

Driving my manual transmission pickup (broke right shoulder and ribs) was impossible for at least a month, and no walk in the park for a few weeks after that.

I advise against waterskiing through the shallow, rocky areas of Governor's Lake at dusk, lest you fall and get hurt in the ribs. 4 weeks. Do not laugh, sneeze, cough, or hiccup....unless you have to. Get well.

Like Jags said, 6-8 weeks. I fell from a roof about 8 years ago & bounced off a wrought iron railing during the journey. Hit smack dab on the left side of my ribcage, before coming to rest in an Arbor Vitae bush. Initial X-rays showed no breaks, so the diagnosis was bruised ribs. I went to my primary care physician the next day & he squeezed my chest. Holy Crap! I almost passed out. Broken ribs, he said. Unless the X-rays hit the break zone exactly they'll miss it. The elliptical shape of the rib bones cause the X-rays to miss the break more often than finding it.

Problem with ribs is you can not completely immobilize them (unless you stop beathing). Any recovery is going to be longer if the area can not give time to rest. Don't breath too heavy, move too much and rest. Take a sleeping aid to get really good nigh time rest if needed. Don't take Ibuprofen, it reduces your bodies natural healing abilities. Take Acetominephen for pain if necessary.

I went with ibuprofen as my wife, a nurse, suggested it . . . plus the Tylenol I was taking wasn't doing much.

I'm feeling much better today . . . and yesterday . . . still have a bit of swelling around the one rib . . . kind of looks like I have another roll of fat above my already ample belly.

I'm thinking with the ibuprofen and fact that I'm taking it easy now (and trying not to be a nancy -- apologies to any real Nancys out there who are no doubt much tougher than me) . . . that it is just a matter of time. I guess in retrospect hauling brush and moving some firewood a few days back wasn't smart . . . have to give things a bit more time.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Jake, but inquiring minds need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.