RE: Woo-Hoo . . . getting a "free" chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Helped a buddy move this weekend due to an impending divorce and he had a Stihl 025 saw -- two actually as one was a "parts" saw.

He said he didn't want either saw and said it wasn't running the last time he used it -- hence the reason for him buying a newer saw -- so he gave them both to me.

It's a small saw compared to my Jonsered, but I figure it might be useful for limbing, working on the ATV trails and in case I get the larger saw stuck.

I have both saws at the local high school vocational school where one of the students will be working on it to get it running and tuned up.

You will find yourself using that 025 a lot more than you think...great little saw!

Reactions: Tom123
026 is a pro model and the 025 is a homeowner version. Big difference.

OK didn't think mine is a "pro" version it didn't have decompression valve or adjustable carb until they added those things recently when It got rebuild.

All 026 / 260 model Stihls are Pro saws. Pro models are commercial quality. They are generally longer lasting, lighter, more powerful and more expensive than their consumer versions. 026 Pro model is what you are referring to with the pump and compression release and its confusing because Stihl named the option "Pro" on a professional saw to designate the adjustable oil pump and comp release. They used terms like Magnum and others that mean nothing on several saws. Having a consumer model saw doesn't mean its not a good saw.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin j
I'd set it up for 3/8 LP chain, if it's not that way already, and get a loop or two of 63PS. That's how my 026 is set up, and hoo boy, it's impressive.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'd set it up for 3/8 LP chain, if it's not that way already, and get a loop or two of 63PS. That's how my 026 is set up, and hoo boy, it's impressive.
I had a pair of 250s I ran for years cutting firewood for me and to sell.They describe them as homeowners saws but I am here to tell you they can be ran hard day after day! I set them up to run 3/8ths chain and ran full chisel on them...cutting fools! I now run a pair of 260 pros set up the same way...

026 is a pro model and the 025 is a homeowner version. Big difference.

Completely agree. Ok I'm going to say it like it is

The 025 / Ms 250 is not a very good saw by modern standards especially considering the prices. It's not aged very well like an 026/260 has. Jake I know you have a Jred 2258. I'm a Swedish saw fan and know that saw well. I'm also a Stihl fan. No way your gonna be happy running that 025 if you've stepped up to a saw like your 2258. Your 2258 ain't that much heavier and is 3x the saw. Now if you got an 026/260 that's a different game all together and a great saw but an 025/250 ? Nope.

Let's see designed in the 1980s. Crappy non adjustable oiler that clogs up if your burying a 16 inch bar or longer in dense wood for more than a couple minutes. Terrible anti vibe. Terrible air filter design that gets dirty very fast ( like 5 to 1 cleanings or worse compared to your Jred 2258 ) Don't tighten your bar nuts too much they will pull out of the plastic case. Hard pull on the starter cord because no decomp valve. And no leverage engineered into the starter mechanism. Actually don't bother pressing in the decomp valve on your 2258/2260 and you will find the 025/250 at 45cc pulls HARDER than your pro 60cc saw with out releasing the compression. How is that ? But it's true

I can't believe Stihl kept the 250 around as long as it did. People kept buying them so they kept making them.

The 251 is a much improved version.

Make a good running 025 ( they do make good power for 45cc their only redeeming positive quality that I remember) out of your free ones and sell it. There's always someone willing to buy it.

And yes I owned a 250 once ago in a land far far away. Speaking from crappy memory of that saw. Go run a Dolmar 421 at 42cc and then pick up that 025/250 and you will think you just went from a pro saw to a Poulan Wild Thing.

Sorry I'm being harsh. But facts are facts. Free is awesome. Selling for profit is even better and you can make a few bucks

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzberry
at 45cc pulls HARDER than your pro 60cc saw with out releasing the compression. How is that ? But it's true

My guess would be that it's got a relatively small starter pulley. The 025 is the biggest displacement of three models (021, 023, 025) that share most of the same parts, including the starter, so the pulley is a compromise.

Reactions: woodhog73
Completely agree. Ok I'm going to say it like it is

The 025 / Ms 250 is not a very good saw by modern standards especially considering the prices. It's not aged very well like an 026/260 has. Jake I know you have a Jred 2258. I'm a Swedish saw fan and know that saw well. I'm also a Stihl fan. No way your gonna be happy running that 025 if you've stepped up to a saw like your 2258. Your 2258 ain't that much heavier and is 3x the saw. Now if you got an 026/260 that's a different game all together and a great saw but an 025/250 ? Nope.

Let's see designed in the 1980s. Crappy non adjustable oiler that clogs up if your burying a 16 inch bar or longer in dense wood for more than a couple minutes. Terrible anti vibe. Terrible air filter design that gets dirty very fast ( like 5 to 1 cleanings or worse compared to your Jred 2258 ) Don't tighten your bar nuts too much they will pull out of the plastic case. Hard pull on the starter cord because no decomp valve. And no leverage engineered into the starter mechanism. Actually don't bother pressing in the decomp valve on your 2258/2260 and you will find the 025/250 at 45cc pulls HARDER than your pro 60cc saw with out releasing the compression. How is that ? But it's true

I can't believe Stihl kept the 250 around as long as it did. People kept buying them so they kept making them.

The 251 is a much improved version.

Make a good running 025 ( they do make good power for 45cc their only redeeming positive quality that I remember) out of your free ones and sell it. There's always someone willing to buy it.

And yes I owned a 250 once ago in a land far far away. Speaking from crappy memory of that saw. Go run a Dolmar 421 at 42cc and then pick up that 025/250 and you will think you just went from a pro saw to a Poulan Wild Thing.

Sorry I'm being harsh. But facts are facts. Free is awesome. Selling for profit is even better and you can make a few bucks

I don't doubt what you say (well write) . . . but I would like to point out again that this saw was free . . . and it will pretty much only be used to clear brush on ATV trails, maybe be used to cut the branches from downed trees (although I suspect I will still use the 2258 with the longer bar anyways since a) it will be running and b) I will not have to bend over so far and finally be used to free my 2258 if it ever gets pinched (correction: when it gets pinched) while taking down a tree. This is not going to be used that often . . . I suspect.

I don't doubt what you say (well write) . . . but I would like to point out again that this saw was free . . . and it will pretty much only be used to clear brush on ATV trails, maybe be used to cut the branches from downed trees (although I suspect I will still use the 2258 with the longer bar anyways since a) it will be running and b) I will not have to bend over so far and finally be used to free my 2258 if it ever gets pinched (correction: when it gets pinched) while taking down a tree. This is not going to be used that often . . . I suspect.

Hey I like free as much as the next person. I hear ya. Having a back up saw is a good thing.

Thing is there's so many people selling 025/250s on CL and they are asking stupid prices. Like $250 or more ?? Those old plastic poorly designed saws ain't worth that. Especially if your used to running a modern pro saw you would probably be so disappointed.

Thing is you can get a used 026 for the same price people are asking for used 025 / 250s. I assume most people don't know what they are buying, and assume it's a good deal because it's a Stihl. Well $250 for an 026 is a good deal. For an 025 I wouldn't pay more than $50 bucks.

You could probably sell a clean 025 on CL and find a decent 026 or used Dolmar 421 for around the same amount of $$. And would be way happier. And it would still be free sorta.

By the way if your mostly cutting brush I would run .325 or 3/8 picco low profile on a small saw. Much less grabby than 3/8 on brush and buck thorn etc.

^^ ditto ^^

so if i saw a deal for a 026 for $200 i should buy it?

fullsizeoutput_3705.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3706.jpeg
I do it all the time lol. I have 5 right now. I buy and sell them. An 026 in decent shape will last a homeowner a lifetime. Probably for the money its the best homeowner firewood saw there is. One of Stihls best. Used to get them for 75.00 to 150.00 but people are getting educated on saws so deals are much harder to find. Around here 200.00 to 250.00 is about right for a decent 026. Keep an eye out for a Pro version as it has an adjustable bar oil pump. Also it has a useless compression release. The non pro version works great without it though and prolly a little cheaper. An 024 is the exact same saw but less a couple cc s. 024 s usually can be had for much cheaper cause most people are not aware of it. Pic of a Pro version on the left and no Pro on the right.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodhog73
so if i saw a deal for a 026 for $200 i should buy it?

If your in the market for a 50cc saw and don't want to pay the prices for something newer then YES because you won't get any better saw in the 50cc class for $200 bucks. Consider a brand new pro 50cc saw from Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, etc is gonna run you between $450 and $600 that $200 dollar 026 becomes an awesome deal. And it's a great saw.

Others may disagree but you can easily heat your house with an 026 or any other decent 50cc saw.

Reactions: D8Chumley
i have a Husky 445 that works great, but every so often I see an 026 pop up...

Helped a buddy move this weekend due to an impending divorce and he had a Stihl 025 saw -- two actually as one was a "parts" saw.

He said he didn't want either saw and said it wasn't running the last time he used it -- hence the reason for him buying a newer saw -- so he gave them both to me.

It's a small saw compared to my Jonsered, but I figure it might be useful for limbing, working on the ATV trails and in case I get the larger saw stuck.

I have both saws at the local high school vocational school where one of the students will be working on it to get it running and tuned up.

New to site, trying to learn how to post this question and comment.....I have an older craftsman saw that calls for 16:1. That is with older oils. I'm told the newer oils are synthetic and are usually mixed 32 or 40:1. My saw number is 358.354830 a 3.7, 18 inch saw. I also have another newer sears saw and it calls for 40:1 mixture. Does anyone know if I can go to 32:1 or 40:1 fuel mixture on my older craftsman saw?

Mix 32:1 for everything,your saws will thank you.
50:1 mix is an illusion invented by the EPA.If all the stars align your saw will run on it.....but should your air filter clog or fuel filter clog or should anything cause a lean condition or even a dull chain will have you saw on the edge of meltdown and probably cause engine damage .
Oil is cheap,parts are not.with the new oils you can even use the same mix in vintage saws.
32:1 FTW