Ready for 2010/2011!! and beyond........I hope

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runandjump

Apr 7, 2009
Southern Ohio
Well, the kids and I got what I hope is the last load. I figure I have ~10 cords. Man was it hot and humid! Oh what a feeling! to be caught up. This will be my first time heating with wood in about 20 years. I know how you all like pics so here is my first try. ;-P

Attachments

• WEBSITEwood2-20090816.JPG
    WEBSITEwood2-20090816.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 682
I saw the hay bails and thought those were rounds... I was thinking wow, that's some big stuff he's processing there!

I know how you feel. I've got one cord to go to finish my 2011/12 wood. It will be a happy day! I know this isn't a lot for many of you but I will have put up almost 12 cords this year and I'm going to pretty happy with that!!

I've got about 4 1/2 cords ready for '09/'10, and I already have 2 that will be ready for '10/'11. Right now I'm splitting and stacking wood that I won't burn for almost a year and a half. I've never been this far ahead before. It sure is a good feeling. Oh yeah, it's all free and split with my own two hands.

I measured 13.5 cords this weekend of split and stacked. Another few cords of super nice wood in a heap. The 13.5 is 3 years worth for me so I really need to sell off the extra. I like to cut and split so this extra wood means less time with the saw. Dang!

Super - feels go to be ahead of the game!
I've got about 16 cords split and stacked now. Last year I burned about 11 in my old boiler and Pacific Energy.
This year I'm hoping I'll only burn 7 cords or so in my new gasification boiler, and not use the PE. If that's the
case, I've got years, too. I'm starting to cut some softwood: I want to try a cord next spring to see how it
works in the new boiler. And after I add water storage next summer, I hope to use at least 5 cords of
softwood (fir, pine and spruce).
And yes, it is hot and muggy to be doing manual labour out there! An october evening would be preferred!

Are those railroad tie cut offs I see there? I would love to find some of that! I only use about 2 cords here burning 24/7 in my Jotul. If I could get some wood like that to process it would be much easier. The sawmills around here don't have any cut offs because they are so SLOW. Oh, and nice pile of wood you got there!

3 years worth here to. Now I can sit back and be a firewood snob and wait for the good scrounging stuff.

I am within striking range of having my last years usage replaced which will put me back at three years supply. Hopes are to lay in year four when it cools off and it will probably be time to put the gear on craigslist. By the time this stuff is burned I won't have the get up and go to get up and go whack trees. I told my wife I only had two years of this stuff left in me. And that was three years ago. :smirk:

wendell said:
I've got one cord to go to finish my 2011/12 wood.
+1

If I cull a lot of Poplar and/or the wife is serious about cutting back on how much we burn, the last cord could turn out to be 2012/2013 wood.

I still need to move 6 cord of splits from my outside stacks to the shed before the snow falls.

Yes. Those are cross tie ends! I love'em. Most of my wood is from the same source.

I have no idea what year I'm working on since this will be my first season with the stove. I have about 10 stacked right now and have about one on the trailer. I hope to be picking up another cord or two of ash that will be for this season and that should put me around 4 cords of dry wood for this season and 8 or 9 for the coming years. If I use more then 4 this season I hope my other stacks will be pretty dry by the time I need them. I can't wait for the cooler weather so I can start cutting in comfort again!

I have 5 and a half cords of maple and oak in my wood shed. I pack the wood tight and leave very little room between splits. My cord has a lot more wood in it than a cord stacked so "a squirrel could run through it" and I'm assuming it is going to take a little longer to dry out. It gets hot in there with the morning sun and acts like a mini kiln so I'm hoping it is speeding up the drying process. I split the one cord of standing dead red oak into smaller pieces and they felt light as a feather this spring. By late winter they will be seasoned for 20+ months and should be good to go. Also I'm hoping that even though I'll be burning close to 24/7 I go through less than 3 of my cords a year. My shed will hold 6 cords easily and I would like to throw a couple pallets down and have another 2 cords stacked. That way I'll be able to have a rotation that enables to only burn wood that has been seasoned 2+ years. We'll see how it plays out, good luck!

I'm a little over two years ahead. It gave me the luxury of taking most of this summer off from wood gathering.
As soon as the weather cools, I'll be going oak hunting on the woodlot. There's some dead popple to take out
too, which will replenish the shoulder season wood and fire ring wood.

All I can say is that this wood gathering at this time of the year really sucks big time. We won't get started before Thanksgiving but more likely December 1. It is much more enjoyable cutting wood in the winter months and the exercise at that time of the year is good for the body.

I'm still playing catch up now, so I am sweating through pores that I haven't used in years this summer. Two more good truck loads this fall and I should be able to take next summer off.

I scored a little better than a cord of beech and maple last night. Even though it was still in the upper 80s and sticky, it is hard to turn down an opportunity like that when I can leave the house and be back in an hour and a half and not even have to start the saw.

SolarAndWood said:
I scored a little better than a cord of beech and maple last night. Even though it was still in the upper 80s and sticky, it is hard to turn down an opportunity like that when I can leave the house and be back in an hour and a half and not even have to start the saw.
Great find!

I just noticed the BKK is on the way per your sig... congrats, you wont be disappointed! Did you order it out of state, of did your shop have to order it for you?

Wet1 said:
I just noticed the BKK is on the way per your sig... congrats, you wont be disappointed! Did you order it out of state, of did your shop have to order it for you?

I would have had to travel 3 hours to see one, so I bought Daryl's demo instead. He was a pleasure to deal with and shipping wasn't bad at all. Hopefully, between the scrounging and the stove, I will have joined the 2 year ahead club.

Sounds like a good deal. I was initially interested in a Ultra model, but decided I didn't need the reduced clearances this model offered. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new BKK!

Status
Not open for further replies.