Ready to clear from the big blizzard of 2010

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis,

Looks great! Hope that you enjoy every minute on it!

Has the wife been on it yet? I know you said that she rode the demo one, but how 'bout yours?

P.J.

PS - does it come with the reversible camouflage - Woodland to Snow ;-) !

That windshield will save you're hands if go cruising with the temp down in the single digits, the hands were always the first to go with me.

Congrats Dennis, awsome tool.

The heated grips rock!

deleted duplicate

That is sweet, you deserve it, and I am sure you will put it through its paces. I need a new plow for mine, my old one did not have those skids and the blade wore down to the point I have to replace it. Going to try to get one more year out of it. I have a question on the skids, does the blade not touch the pavement, or just barely?

If it wasn't for the BIGGG yellow plow, I wouldn't know
the the new monster was there. Nice camo pattern.
Very nice.
Great "options" on it too.
Congratulations!

Backwoods Savage said:
Okay fellas, I promised pictures and here they are. The Yamaha Grizzly 700. It came with:

fuel injection
power steering
independent suspension
heated hand grips
windshield
snow blade
winch 2500 lb
camo version

As for the blizzard, as you can see we didn't get it. I told my wife yesterday we'd not get much and it wouldn't have surprised me if we hadn't got any. The updated forecast at noon still is calling for 5-9" this afternoon. I doubt it. Watching the radar, it breaks up before it gets to us. We'll probably see snow all afternoon but not much for accumulation. It has snowed all day so far and we only have an inch at most.

Atv-5.gif

Atv-3.gif

Atv-6.gif
Looks good Dennis. I have a Honda that I plow snow here with. Have about 1500 feet of driveway and road to clean. I think I enjoy doing that as much as I do cutting wood. Just have to stay ahead of it if we get lots of snow. Dave.

PJF1313 said:
Dennis,

Looks great! Hope that you enjoy every minute on it!

Has the wife been on it yet? I know you said that she rode the demo one, but how 'bout yours?

P.J.

PS - does it come with the reversible camouflage - Woodland to Snow ;-) !

Wife has rode it just at the dealer's before we bought it. She'll probably not ride it much but hopefully by next summer she will use it more. Age takes its toll and it is also getting harder for her to get around sometimes, especially when carrying things. I try to get her to use more and will keep trying.

Reverse camo would be nice!

That big yellow blade is nice but we had to return to the dealer as the winch somehow started working only part time (like me). Nothing serious though and got it fixed okay.

Those heated grips are sure nice and it would be good on the saw!

davmor, our driveway is about 100 yards but then there are 2 or 3 more that I take care of plus I keep a turn-around clear at the end of our road. I also plow about a mile of paths on our place so the wife has a good walking place as she walks daily.

Dennis, if its not too much trouble, sometime, could you snap and post a couple of pics of the new toy plowing snow? I'd also be curious about your opinion on how well it plows. Who knows I may go down that path as well.

I'd be happy to do that, especially if we get any snow. We have really been lacking in rain and snowfall all year so far. Maybe I can even get a short video if that will help.

Backwoods Savage said:
That big yellow blade is nice but we had to return to the dealer as the winch somehow started working only part time (like me). Nothing serious though and got it fixed okay.

Those heated grips are sure nice and it would be good on the saw!

davmor, our driveway is about 100 yards but then there are 2 or 3 more that I take care of plus I keep a turn-around clear at the end of our road. I also plow about a mile of paths on our place so the wife has a good walking place as she walks daily.
That's allot of plowing. I often wondered if a bigger four wheeler would be worth it, makes sense. Will be curious as to how yours works over the winter. Like the heated grips my hands get cold after I'm out for awhile. Are you using a winch to raise the plow or do you have a separate actuator? Good luck with the new 4 wheeler. Dave.

Using the winch. This is the first one I've had with a winch as our old one just had a lever for raising. I called my Spanish snow plow; Manual.

Backwoods Savage said:
Using the winch. This is the first one I've had with a winch as our old one just had a lever for raising. I called my Spanish snow plow; Manual.
Have to be careful with the winch, seen a couple ruined with cable getting tangled. They make a rope you can replace the cable with to plow. I used the old hand lever too, till I dislocated my shoulder. Dave.

I'll keep watch for that Dave. I did ask about this and the dealer said it should not be a problem with this one. We'll see.

You Get any of that snow Dennis? We got another 5 inchs last night.

No more here Jay. I talked to one of my sons last night and they were getting freezing rain there in Missouri. Still the same story here; they mostly miss us this year. Very dry here.

Hey Dennis . . . you ever think of upgrading the carpeting in back for Mrs. Savage? ;) :)

:lol:

I have a nephew who installs carpeting. He gave me enough to line my hunting blinds and some other odds and ends. I keep a small piece on the atv so that if I have to get down on the ground, I simply lay the carpeting down first. That way I don't have to get muddy or have to lay or kneel in the snow.

Now that you mention Mrs. Savage, when we both ride on the atv, we ride a bit different than most folks, but then, we also go slow. She does not like fast riding. Simply put, I put a hot seat on the left rear fender and she rides there and has her feet on the running board. I ride on the right fender which allows me to reach the throttle. It really works out quite nicely for us.

Dennis - real nice machine. How is your winch working with lifting/lowering the blade? Had a plow installed on my Bombardier about a month ago, and I found the factory setup to be much to 'jerky' - quick lowering and raising of the plow. I reduced the speed with a pulley at the base and ran the winch up to the front brush guards - works nice and even now - cut the speed in half. Enjoy the new beast! Cheers!

So far the winch is working out really good. I was a bit lax a couple times when backing up and raised that blade a lot! No harm done. The hardest part seems to be going over uneven ground. The old blade was so light it simply floated. This one will bite right in! I've plowed a couple of furrows with it that way. lol Coming up from the woods today I plowed a new path. Just a short one but through the open yellow sand. What I did was drop the blade to the ground and then raised it just a tad. This kept it from gouging into the sand and worked well.

Dennis - if you find that it digging in becomes problematic - you might consider adding a couple more skids (feet) further outboard. More contact points for the plow to work with.

Jags, I can raise the blade one more notch and the shoes are quite far out already. I did raise it that one extra notch but changed it back as it just left too much stuff. It won't be long now until all the ground is frozen so then it will be no problem at all.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jags, I can raise the blade one more notch and the shoes are quite far out already. I did raise it that one extra notch but changed it back as it just left too much stuff. It won't be long now until all the ground is frozen so then it will be no problem at all.

Cool beans - your post brought a flashback moment of the same problem I had with a blade for a garden tractor. I fixed that sucker up, right quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.