Ready to rock in mass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DTrain

Feeling the Heat
Nov 7, 2012
Stow, MA
It's early September and the itch is returning. The season is upon us!! 4 cords of rounds dropped off for 2017/18. Can't wait to get out and start splitting. And the icing on the cake..... Just had my 8x12 clay flue upgraded to an insulated SS liner!! So pumped!

I have a 20' exterior brick chimney. I'm wondering if any one can share what they've experienced in performance improvement in their similar upgrade. My flue cross section is now 1/3 what it was and the draft was already decent. I'm hoping for hotter fires and ability to turn the air all the way down over night instead of 1/4 open to avoid snuffing.

Also found a surface thermometer that I may try. PTC 314MM. It has min max hands! Had any one tried on of these?

We upgraded our old block chimney on the Oslo last year to stainless pipe. (Ripped out the block put new stainless class A in it's place) It was like getting a new stove. My wife is in charge of the house in CT and the wood (until this year, finally, we're ahead and have dry wood) has been less than par. It went from always running with the air wide open to being able to shut it down 85% of the way and letting it run like it should. You should see a huge increase in performance making a similar change.

I have a regular Rutland (I think) thermometer but saw on here that someone showed how they bent a paperclip around the middle and it gets pushed up by the needle and left at the highest reading, pretty neat trick for the cost of a paperclip. Works great.

I had a Rutland too, but I think my four year old got a hold of it this summer. The other day I noticed it registering a toasty 550f! The PTC has a glass face. A little more tamper proof.

That's great news about the success you saw with your new chimney. I was lucky I had such dry wood last year, the stove kept up... Barely..... I'm have nice dry oak this year too and am very interested to see how well the stove works. We use it to heat a 2k sq. ft cape as the sole heating unit. No oil since early 2012! And I aim to keep it that way. As long as my wife is warm she'll continue to put up with my wood and stove obsession!

Status
Not open for further replies.