Real World Battery Backup Harmon XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
Had our power go off yesterday at appx 3pm - 11pm. I have AIMS 1250 Charger/Inverter hooked to 100ah Battery. Started beeping at 6 hours. I switched to smaller battery (30ah Battery to start generator). That ran until I switched the stove off after 90 minutes of run time (still going on battery) so I had some juice if I needed to run generator in AM. 11pm power returns. Power problems at Boundry Dam (see Movie "the Postman").

Well the PUD broke their record of longest power outage of 6 hours thanks to Seattle City Light.

I ordered another 100ah battery and cables to hook it up in Parallel. 2nd biggest lesson is going to have to hookup Fan to Inverter so move the heat. On low fan the stove got pretty hot and the room's temp went from 74f to 80f.

2nd Winter we have got SNOW in Massive Snowstorms instead of 4-6" amounts.
Note: Blower is https://www.woodmaxx.com/SB_48_PTO_Snow_Blower_p/sb-48.htm
Tractor is Mitsubishi MT18 - 3 Cyc Diesel with 18hp at PTO.

Attachments

• 20200111_091308_resized.jpg
    20200111_091308_resized.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 187
Do you know how many amps or watts your stove draws?

A small inverter generator might also be a consideration - for battery charging and also can use for other things in an outage. Or even more other things year round - the versatility of one might make me chose that over more battery capacity.

On 40% fan speed appx
114-150watts
2.06-2.6 Amps - Auger Running at 2.6amps

Full Speed

165 watts
2.25 - Auger not running, but figure another .4 amps for Auger

Yes I have considered generator. Might go to that in the future for longer runs. But in almost 9 years longest power outage is 8 hours. And that not even PUD's fault. Downside of Generator is

Fuel
Power Cable running thru door and cold air will come in even with some towels stuffed in gap I bet.

I plan on converting the batteries to LITHIUM ION oneday..... (they cost 900 each vs 170 for Gel Cell).

I am also interested in batteries & related though, even having a generator. I have a large UPS I plug my boiler circulator into when an outage is threatening, or when I need to burn while not home, an APC 2200va. But it is aging, and replacing all the batteries in it would cost a small fortune. I think the most I can get out of that now is 4 hours. Likely even less by now. Think my circulator is in the area of 40 watts. So what to do when my hands get forced to do something is always in the back of my mind - try to jimmy up larger more conventional batteries to the existing UPS, or replace the whole UPS with a charger/inverter setup. Have always been leery about fumes from charging conventional batteries inside the house, but not sure how warranted that is? Would be in an unfinished basement.

Do you leave your charger/inverter plugged into power all the time, and does it have an internal fan that runs whenever plugged in? My UPS does, which is the main thing I don't like about it. It's pretty loud.

Batteries are sealed and the gas gets recycled. Only if you overcharge them will it escape. Yes I leave it on all the time, except Summer when it's all unplugged and once a month I plug it in to refresh the batteries.
Amazon product ASIN B00S1RT58C
Every 10 days the AIMS charges the battery.
You can get the manual here. I paid 360 when I got mine. Looks like they have gone up.

Attachments

• PICOGLF12W-25W12V120V 071218.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 211