Really loud ticking from new woodburner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jacq

May 16, 2017
Glasgow uk
Hi,
I am new to the forum but am a bit baffled by my new stove. I have DG ivar with a rear exit flue and it is making a terrible racket - really loud regular clicking that lasts until the stove has been going for some time. Don't think it's usual expansion as It is really loud and I have had the fitters back out who say it's shouldn't be doing that but are unsure what it could be. The stove has been replaced and they have sealed the top flue exit but it is still happening. I was hoping for any suggestions as to what it could be. It sounds like there is a loose part inside either the stove or the flue.

Nice looking stove. Ticking as the metals heat up is pretty normal in most stoves. Different parts are heating up and expanding at different rates depending on their location. However, if the installers think that it is loud then that may mean something is not correct. Perhaps it is not with the stove? Is there a metal chimney liner coming off of the stove and does it pass through a damper-sealing block-off plate? If yes, perhaps it is rubbing against the metal there?

Both the new and old stove tick the same?

Are you loading with very small wood which might catch fire and heat faster causing quicker than normal metal movement? Is the stove in an alcove which might amplify the sound?

its got to be metal expanding if it goes away once the stoves hot. I know mine gets pretty loud when i fire it up cold. You should be able to isolate the general area on the stove its coming from and maybe give that a good visual examination best you can.