Really stuck cleaning rake. Any suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I got this old EF-3 and the rake is rusted solid!

Tried the PB blaster, wire brush, and wiggling with the vice grips and blasting out dirt with the compressor while vacuuming. I got the rake to move 1/8" and now 1/4" back and forth after 3 days of soaking and wiggling.

Now the problem seems to be all the corrosion on the heat tubes. I can easily get that rust and corrosion I can see on the bottom of the tubes with the wire wheel on the drill driver bit not the top of the tubes. The top row is especially difficult. Any ideas?
See pics below.
Click to enlarge.

Attachments

• StuckRake1.JPG
    StuckRake1.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 171
  • StuckRake2.JPG
    StuckRake2.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 175
This emery cloth roll kit from from Grainger could do the trick. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Emery-Cloth-Roll-Kit-5ZMK0

A length of app. 20 inch of the emery cloth is inserted between the tubes. To pull out the inserted end, you'll need a piece of steel wire, where you shape the end to form a hook. It may take several attemps to catch the far end. Hope this will work for you. Good luck.
new-1.jpg

Last edited:
The pellet stove master shouldn't need our help figuring this out. :p

Hi Jay
I certainly cannot think of everything! Stovensen has a great idea, don't you think?

You guys are the best!

Hi Jay
I certainly cannot think of everything! ......
I think what Jay is alluding to is that the term "Master" is normally used to describe a person (working in any business) who is supposed to be the best at what they do, and have all the answers.

It seems that this forum's pellet stove "master" asks for help on many areas of stove repair & maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.