Really surprised on the price increase of stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Well, my neighbor wanted to check out the Harmans today so we did. 6 weeks ago the P38 was $1,739 presumably last years model.They had 4 left at the time and they must have went fast.
The new ones they received still don`t have auto start but the price was $2004.00.
The one he wanted, P61 was $3595.00
We both agreed that it was not a reasonable value.
Sure steel and transportation is up but this much? This kind of price increase is no different than what the oil industry is doing.
Anyway we stopped in the local hardware store and found a newly arrived Englander (25PDV heats 2200 sq ft) with auto start at $1995.00 delivered . The smaller one was $1499 with auto start. He bought the larger one based on the fact his son in law has had one for the past 3 years and is quite happy with it.
His son in law also has a Harman which he rates higher except for the $1500 cost premium that is a bit hard to justify.
John

Well, the price I got for a P38 was 1890 last week. a P61 puts out considerably more heat as well as is a flashier looking stove:
http://www.harmanstoves.com/compare.asp?id=10&id=20

Was that price ($3.6k) for the stove + install?

a P38 for $2k sounds like a bit much, but a lot has shifted in the pellet stove business in the past 2 months. You could also get pellets for at or around $200 a ton - not so anymore.

I was at the stove shop today checking on delivery ( ships from PA on the June 23 ) and notice a 10% increase in the price of the Harman Accentra Insert. I paid $3094 and the price went to $3454.

Part of the cost run up is the increase in manufacturing costs & delivery costs. The demand for pellet stoves is extremely high now due to the price of oil, so many dealers are cashing in on good business. Add them together and you get quite an increase

The dollar is worth less every day - that means most things of real value - like steel, cast, labor, oil, gas are out of control.

Harman had warehouses full of stoves back when they were bought by HHT last summer. They gave a good deal to dealers who took these on "early buy" programs and dealers passed the savings on. Now, Harman has to build from scratch with all the associated costs. I don't think there is much true "gouging" going on, but then again we should not expect discount tickets to a sold-out concert!

I have two Harman Accentras, but I think if I were in a position where I had to find a stove right now, with these price increases and the potential shortages of pellets this season, I'd seriously consider a stoker antracite stove. More bang for your BTU buck, and the stoves are more reasonably priced right now. Another plus is there's less cleaning -- once or twice per season -- and one ton of antracite equals about one and a half tons of pellets. My Harman Accentra this time last year cost me $2100 on sale and another $450 or $500 installed, including all materials.

Moe

Status
Not open for further replies.