Rear heat shield question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MiedemaRN

Jul 24, 2022
Middletown, NY
Hi there, I'll be a new wood stove owner come October - I ordered a Woodstock Soapstone Progress hybrid. It's a new installation, there is no stove currently in the home. I will be placing it in the middle of a wall, as the floor there is reinforced with stonework and had a fireplace there years ago but the owner before me took it down. While the stove does not need a rear heat shield more than the one that is coming on the stove, I would like to put one up to reflect some of the heat better and make it a focal point in the room. I was thinking about either corrugated metal roofing materials, or the tin ceiling panels. My question is, can I get the ones that already have paint/finish on them or will they smoke/off gas from the paint coming in contact with heat? Or can I only use untreated metal? I can't seem to find this answer anywhere on the web. Thanks for any insight. I was hoping to use white panels/roofing.

The Progress Hybrid has a very large rear clearance requirement of 36". With the attached rear heat shield that drops down to 7" if the pipe is also shielded or double-wall stove pipe is used (recommended). The manual also discusses the option of putting up an NFPA 211 wall shield. With the stove's rear heat shield attached, regular paint should be ok. The clearance is to combustibles. That said, you could use BBQ paint or the like for extra peace of mind.