Rear Vent Stove - Sweeping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pennyfan041

Nov 29, 2018
Raytown, MO
Wood stove noob here. I just bought a Hi-Flame 905u to help heat my little house. I'm going to be using the rear vent instead of the top so I can have the stove sitting out in front of the old fireplace instead of tucked all the way in. Installing a flex liner up the existing flue. My kit came with a T that is more like 5.5 inches instead of 6, and there's no way that flex liner will fit inside. I know I'm supposed to put male into female from the top down so that creosote doesn't catch in the seams, and I'd rather not risk doing it the other way. I'm thinking about skipping the T altogether and just putting the flex liner into a 90 degree elbow, then connecting that to the stove collar. The problem is that (here's a taste of my ignorance) this rear vent option seems to have the smoke go up over the top of the baffle before exiting the rear. Without a T, how does one sweep a rear vent stove?

Wood stove noob here. I just bought a Hi-Flame 905u to help heat my little house. I'm going to be using the rear vent instead of the top so I can have the stove sitting out in front of the old fireplace instead of tucked all the way in. Installing a flex liner up the existing flue. My kit came with a T that is more like 5.5 inches instead of 6, and there's no way that flex liner will fit inside. I know I'm supposed to put male into female from the top down so that creosote doesn't catch in the seams, and I'd rather not risk doing it the other way. I'm thinking about skipping the T altogether and just putting the flex liner into a 90 degree elbow, then connecting that to the stove collar. The problem is that (here's a taste of my ignorance) this rear vent option seems to have the smoke go up over the top of the baffle before exiting the rear. Without a T, how does one sweep a rear vent stove?
Why not just get the right tee and do it correctly?

I once installed a rear venting stove with a 90 degree elbow like you propose before I knew better that a T-connector should be used. The problem with the elbow is that when creosote flakes off the inside of the liner (or single wall stove pipe as used in my installation) there is no place for it go except to pile up in the elbow. This can easily lead to a chimney fire since you have flames passing directly over the pile of creosote when you do your start up fires. With the T - connector there is a catch basin below the entrance to the vertical section of pipe keeping this creosote out of the direct line of the flames, reducing the chance of starting a chimney fire.

I once installed a rear venting stove with a 90 degree elbow like you propose before I knew better that a T-connector should be used. The problem with the elbow is that when creosote flakes off the inside of the liner (or single wall stove pipe as used in my installation) there is no place for it go except to pile up in the elbow. This can easily lead to a chimney fire since you have flames passing directly over the pile of creosote when you do your start up fires. With the T - connector there is a catch basin below the entrance to the vertical section of pipe keeping this creosote out of the direct line of the flames, reducing the chance of starting a chimney fire.
Thanks for the advice! It's annoying to have to buy a different T, but maybe I just shouldn't be so lazy :).

Thanks for the advice! It's annoying to have to buy a different T, but maybe I just shouldn't be so lazy :).
Did you buy the liner as a kit? If so the tee should fit it and the supplier should replace it. Also are you insulating it and installing a blockoff plate?

Did you buy the liner as a kit? If so the tee should fit it and the supplier should replace it. Also are you insulating it and installing a blockoff plate?
I just contacted the seller to see if they'd send me a new one. We'll see how that goes. Yes insulation, no block off plate. I've read a bunch of threads on here and see that a block off plate is highly recommended. I imagine I'll install one at some point. I'll have enough room to wiggle around the stove as it's a pretty small one.

I just contacted the seller to see if they'd send me a new one. We'll see how that goes. Yes insulation, no block off plate. I've read a bunch of threads on here and see that a block off plate is highly recommended. I imagine I'll install one at some point. I'll have enough room to wiggle around the stove as it's a pretty small one.
Just do the plate now. There is no reason to put it off.