Reassemble a Jotul F118 Black Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AHarris

Jun 26, 2018
Vermont
Hi all,

I recently acquired a Jotul F118 Black Bear (Manufactured in 2008) and have disassembled it completely. The top baffle was warped and both side baffles had hair line cracks. I have ordered the new baffles, new gaskets/glue, Hearthstone cement, and Stove Bright flat black paint. After some grinding, it should be ready to restore. The cement requires a slow heat treatment to cure as does the Stove Bright paint. Does this have to be done day of application? or will waiting until I am done assembly (which will more then likely take me longer then a day or two) be fine? I have read on previous threads that the cement can crack if it sits to long with out being heat treated.

Part two...

I plan to paint each panel separately and then assemble. Will the paint effect the metal-to-metal connections where cement is required? Should I paint the whole piece once it is whole?

Thanks!

Austin

You can wait to fire the stove as long as you want. Just be sure to do the break in fires.

I would paint the panels first, just avoid painting the cement channels as much as possible.

Reactions: AHarris