rebuild Stihl 046 Magnum saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll probably get more responses on arboristsite.com. There are lots of saw builders over there.

While you are at it, if you have the extra coin, you could also have it ported and the muffler opened up (modded). That thing will scream when you get it back if you go that route...

Reactions: splitoak
I'm game, but shipping usually makes this sort of thing cost prohibitive. So, unless you know someone that trucks up US-61 that could meet me...

my experience has been that powerhead shipping is 30-40 bucks. No biggie, except this powerhead would have to go two ways...

I have used the baileys kits on stihls. Just need to make sure to round all of the port edges as well as the piston skirt edges. You can use emery cloth. The parts have performed ok but you need to take the time to properly finish and prepare the parts. Also check the piston to dome clearance after the jug is on. I have had to use 2 base gaskets sometimes to get the clearnce right.

I have used the baileys kits on stihls. Just need to make sure to round all of the port edges as well as the piston skirt edges. You can use emery cloth. The parts have performed ok but you need to take the time to properly finish and prepare the parts. Also check the piston to dome clearance after the jug is on. I have had to use 2 base gaskets sometimes to get the clearance right.

Thanks for your reply and tips....one parts and repair source contacted called Little Red Barn in Virginia informs me they will rebuild saw for $150.00 labor...doing both bottom end and top end...estimated parts to be around $161.00 minus any carburetor issues.......offers one year warranty......any thoughts about this offer....much thanks

Reactions: D8Chumley
Are there no saw or small engine shops in Farmington that can rebuild a chainsaw?

I'd do the local shop first and if one weren't accessible that doesn't sound too bad with 1 yr warranty. My .02

Are there no saw or small engine shops in Farmington that can rebuild a chainsaw?

There is one that is a Stihl dealer which gave me an estimate that is about 75% of a new saw price....and the other independent shop does not have a lot of good fans..........my earlier post refers to one in Virginia.....looks like I will be shipping the saw to get rebuilt. thanks for your reply

There really isnt anyone in perryville that doest it either. The dealers will tell you its not worth fixing and to buy you s new one. You could check with steve kertz. He has his own business, kertz sales and service. He is a dolmar dealer which is where I bought my little dolmar. He is located in bloomsdale, mo

I did a piston and cylinder on my ms460 this summer. Went with a meteor piston and cylinder. The why it failed is as important as what failed. Age took mine out. If you know why it failed, or are willing to figure it out, its not a hard project. 4 bolts and 2 pain in the butt clips that require patience. Everything else is stripping plastic pieces off and cleaning.

There really isnt anyone in perryville that doest it either. The dealers will tell you its not worth fixing and to buy you s new one. You could check with steve kertz. He has his own business, kertz sales and service. He is a dolmar dealer which is where I bought my little dolmar. He is located in bloomsdale, mo
Thanks for the reply and tip.

I did a piston and cylinder on my ms460 this summer. Went with a meteor piston and cylinder. The why it failed is as important as what failed. Age took mine out. If you know why it failed, or are willing to figure it out, its not a hard project. 4 bolts and 2 pain in the butt clips that require patience. Everything else is stripping plastic pieces off and cleaning.

Learned that bottom end will need rebuild as well as piston......everything locked up....because there are many special tools involved e.g. vac/pressure testing, separating crankcase...almost a tool for removing every part....I think it's for someone with more experience and has tools than I....thanks for reply and tip

Yeah, I understand that completely. The top end was intimidating enough for me at first. That's about where I draw the line.

If you need a new crankshaft, bearings, etc + a top end.....you're looking at $200-$500 (depending on quality selected) in parts alone. Pricey, indeed.

Try Mastermind or Brad Snelling over on the arborist site. They are both great builders and well respected. I would get a woods porting while you are at it.

Try Mastermind or Brad Snelling over on the arborist site. They are both great builders and well respected. I would get a woods porting while you are at it.
it would not be cheap, but the saw would run better than you've ever seen it run. I'd stake my crappy reputation on it!

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Status
Not open for further replies.