Recementing a Cawley Lemay Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

alaxsxaq

Aug 29, 2017
PA
Someone gave me a Cawley Lemay 600 wood stove. It had to be disassembled to move it and I'm now in the process of cleaning up the plates before I reassemble it.

The joints were all cemented and I want to make sure I re-cement it the right way with the right material, but the manuals that came with the stove don't cover this and, though I have found some information online, I still have a few questions.

I purchased a couple of cartridges of Rutland Hi-Temp Stove & Gasket Cement. Is that the correct stuff to use?
Is it better to put a bead of cement into the grooves between plates before joining them, or put everything together dry and then add a bead of cement along all the seams?

Thanks for any tips.

Rutland stove cement is fine. Put a generous bead in the seams before reassembly. Wipe the exterior ooze clean with a damp rag before it dries. Use a wet finger to trowel smooth the ooze into the inside seams.