Reclaiming a bricked up fireplace...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fourtaylors

Jan 13, 2022
Maryland
Hey folks - appreciate the forums and some of the info I've already stolen from ya'll.

I'm in a house that was built in 1900. At some point, they bricked up a fireplace that I assume they used for the main heating of the home, and in the mud basement installed an oil boiler and ran all the steam pipes, radiators throughout the house. They did that directly below the bricked up fireplace, and tapped into the chimney for the ventilation of the oil burner.

We've been remodeling, have rendered the oil burner useless, and are using HVAC. However, we'd LOVE to unblock the fireplace, and, in our imaginations, are hoping to install a wood stove in it, keeping it a little simpler/cheaper in the process than rebuilding the whole thing.

My question is... any guesses what kind of insanity I may run into as we try to install it? I'd imagine we need to remove whatever ventilation they used for the oil burner and re-install the piping for the wood stove - but I was curious if anyone had done this/seen this, and if there's any red flags or obvious helps we should be aware of before we start the endeavor (not til summer, but trying to get on the schedule, etc.)

ANY help at all, any suggestions, horror stories, or fairy tales, would be greatly appreciated!

Consider this. Trying to rehabilitate a ancient masonry chimney that has been bricked over and left for dead will surely include needing a full professional inspection ($), professional cleaning ($)and stainless liner($)most likely a updated hearth modification($). Thats IF the old masonry structure is even deamed useable without other repair/investment prior to use.
Possibly consider a freestanding stove installed elsewhere in the home with a new stainless class A chimney install. Preferably straight up and out for efficiency. Admittedly I am no fan of old masonry chimneys that are normally of dubious design/construct. My 2 cents worth.

Reactions: enordy
We have brought back several fireplaces like that. The cost is generally on the $15000 to $20000 range

Reactions: moresnow
We have brought back several fireplaces like that. The cost is generally on the $15000 to $20000 range
I'm all for restoring and appreciating an old-timey-times fireplace, etc., but that blows the efficiency argument out of the water. ;lol

I'm all for restoring and appreciating an old-timey-times fireplace, etc., but that blows the efficiency argument out of the water. ;lol
I honestly think it's stupid but if someone wants it done and is willing to pay I will gladly do it

Reactions: EbS-P