Recommend a good IR thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I could use an IR thermometer. I thought I had a deal going with a Fluke 68IS but it fell through. I prefer Fluke as it's been a known & common tool in the electrical industry. However, I plan on using it to check stove temps, & saw temps during milling.

Nowhere in the class of the Fluke you mentioned, but I like my Raytek MT6.

I have a raytek raynger st. No problems with it so far and I have had for 6 or 7 yrs.

Fluke guy here. Didn't opt for the Max. I just got it a few weeks ago for the woodstoves and I'll use it for trailering my boat keeping an eye out on 6 trailer hub temps when fueling the truck.

Also very useful if I ever get the urge to drill a hole in my floor filled with Pex. :)

I got the Harbor Freight IR thermometer on sale and 20% more off on top of that for less then $25. It seems to work well, it is spot on with any thermometer I point it at. How long will it last? Who knows, but as little as I use it I don't see it wearing out.

Got a "Tool House" 770343S from Sam's Club for $20 and it works very well. Has laser, min/max memory, and uses AA batteries. Accuracy seems to be very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.