Recommend inexpensive wood stove for cabin...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nimrod1911

Nov 13, 2012
Our Cabin is 24x 46. It has a a second level loft. 1/4 is open and allows heat to travel upstairs easily. I was considering an Englander 30 based on research I did years ago but apparently we can't get them.
I'd prefer a stove without a combuster so it isn't so picky on the wood we use. It would be great if it could burn all night and atleast have hot coals in the morning to start right up again. I have a Woodstock Progress at home but we want something WAY cheaper at the cabin. We have a 6 inch pipe chimney. We seem to fight issues of having a good "draw" when the door is open. We have to open the door fast and chuck wood in and close it quick so less smoke escapes. Not sure a new stove will fix that.
A blower may be nice as the addition in the rear of the cabin doesn't heat well on the first level because heat has to travel around the rock wall behind the stove and then down a short hallway to my parent's bedroom. I'm thinking a blower may circulate better.
What do you recommend?

Last edited:
Drolet

What is currently installed? Where is the cabin located and at what altitude (roughly)?

Reactions: dafattkidd
Even non cat stoves are picky about the wood they burn. Maybe this is why you're getting smoke issues at home?

8350 in elevation. Northern Utah. Currently has an old Fisher (fairly large) but it has an 8" flue and the chimney is 6". It is an all log cabin. 9 inch logs. Very well insulated except for maybe a couple windows where things aren't tight. Once warm it holds the heat well. We are looking at the 2500 US Stove sold by Tractor Supply. Something like that.

Last edited:
Choking down the 8" Fisher is not helping with smoke spillage, but it is not as particular about the draft as a new stove will be. Altitude may also be weakening the draft. If so, the chimney height may need to compensate. What is the approximate distance from the stovetop to the chimney cap? Is this a metal chimney going up on the side of the building? Or is the flue system straight up through the roof?

Can't recall total distance. Logs go 13 feet high then there is 6/12 roof. Chimney is in the cabin and pokes through the roof very near the apex/ridgeline. It does have a 45 degree turn in it halfway up which I'm sure doesn't help and is likely the main culprit but there is a support cross beam in the way.

Based on the description I would recommend getting an easy-breathing stove. A big Drolet Austral/Myriad/Legend III or an HT3000 would be a good choice. They can work ok on shorter flue systems. The US Stove 2500 will want 16 ft of chimney at sea level. The Drolets need only 12 ft. and are a better made stove.

This chart is for a Regency stove that has similar draft requirements as the Drolets. It shows the effect of altitude on chimney height requirements.

Regency flue altitude adjust.png