Recommendation for bench grinder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
Hi All. I'm in the market for a bench grinder. Nothing heavy duty, just need it to put an edge on the tools used around my suburban yard. I also do some light woodworking when time allows ( as if.)

What do you folks recommend for this kind of application?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see if my local Sears Hardware has one to check out.

Hey Matt. Sorry for the late reply.. I've got a motor that I pulled off an old drill press. Just dug it out of storage to take a look, but I'm not seeing the usual specification placard on the side... what's your idea?
Gabe

Fod he might recommend getting an arbor with a belt pulley for that motor?...that was my 1st and best bench grinder set up. Sure it was a cob job but I'm all the time sharpening garden tools, mower blades, shovels etc. with that motor out of the way I could more easily manipulate stuff around the stone and wire brush wheels.

Actually any double pulley bench grinder will do...for the ave home owner you just don't use 'em hard enough to wear out even if you use 'em every day. I just advise getting a medium stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.