Recommendation for soapstone extended burn stove for 800 sf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

inthecountry

Nov 11, 2022
Mendocino, CA
Hi - I’d appreciate recommendations for a stove. Parameters below. Thanks!

- 329 sf room that opens to another 400 sf of hallway, bathrooms, etc.
- Soapstone
- Control to burn low much of the time
- Burn low overnight with morning coals
- 75%+ efficient to qualify for tax credit
- 110” from floor to ceiling
- In stock

Hi - I’d appreciate recommendations for a stove. Parameters below. Thanks!

- 329 sf room that opens to another 400 sf of hallway, bathrooms, etc.
- Soapstone
- 110” from floor to ceiling
- In stock
Well you will be looking for a cat stove for sure. Obviously hearthstone or Woodstock if you are set on soapstone.

Are there any models that interest you?

Why does it have to be soapstone?

Reactions: Highbeam
Thanks, bholler. Soapstone for more gentle, radiant heat.
It really doesn't make much difference. A cast iron clad stove like the blaze king Ashford or several others offer the safe thing without the downsides of soapstone

Reactions: wetwood4life
And any good cat stove will burn low enough it's going to give nice soft heat even with a basic steel stove. The soapstone thing is honestly mainly marketing

Agreed. That said, the Woodstock Fireview has a lower output than the BK Ashford and is a tried and true design.

Agreed. That said, the Woodstock Fireview has a lower output than the BK Ashford and is a tried and true design.
Absolutely. There are some good soapstone stoves available. Just saying there other options to consider as well.

Finding what you want in stock this time of year is going to be tough. I really liked my Woodstocks and think they would work well for your needs.

Woodstock stoves are sold direct. Shipping to the west coast makes them quite costly here. If soapstone is a must, then a Hearthstone dealer is the best option. Or get a cast iron jacketed steel stove for the same soft heat with a better service life.

I second the above; the low even heat requirements can be had with other models too.
The BK has a good history too.

But the looks matter for many people. If looking at a soapstone stove makes you happy, go for one. After all it's something of considerable value you're buying, and that you have to watch for the next two decades.

Want to jump in here and go all "soapstone stoves rock" rage.. but..

While I don't think they are necessarily any more troublesome, they are different, and I agree, any cat stove is probably going to fit the bill nicely.. That said..
SWMBO says there is no other choice then soapstone, because it has to be perty that other 8 months when it's just sitting there... LOL

My wife is just the opposite. She doesn't like the looks of them. Go figure.

When it comes to "taste" and "personal preference" there is NO "one size fits all". Get what you like and what works best for you!

I'm convinced to consider non-soapstone stoves. So new requirements:

- Less than 1000 square feet, now has 44,000 BTU propane wall heater
- Catalytic
- Jacketed for soft heat

Lots of people recommend Blaze King and I have a local dealer, but I can't see from their site which are catalytic, which jacketed.

Thanks!
All Blaze kings are catalytic. Look at the Ashfords.

Have you looked at the Hearthstone Heritage hybrid? You could burn daytime hours without the cat with a no flame on a secondary slow burn and then switch to cat mode for the overnight burn since the cat (I'm told) would buy you a longer burn time just without that lovely flame to watch. It seems like the best of both worlds. I have an older Heritage and plan to replace it with the hybrid if mine ever dies. I love that soft heat, but don't get the burn times I'd like. I load for the overnight around midnight. Fire is out and stove cools off enough to let the boiler turn on, but it's an easy relight when I get up around 9:00.