Recommendations For an Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kehoe

Oct 30, 2016
Va
Hi all,

We have had issues with our chimney since we moved into the house some years ago, and finally had a chimney sweep run a camera through both flues. We have motor missing between many flue tiles, so we would need each flue relined for use.

From what I gather, it doesn't seem to make much financial sense to reline the flue just to use it for an open fire, so I am considering getting an insert. I've researched quite a bit, but figured I would make a post asking for recommendations.

I don't plan on using the insert as a primary heat source. I live in Virginia, so the winters are mild - but, supplemental heat would be nice to offset my heat pump during the cold nights. The chimney sweep quoted us $6200 for an install of a Regency CI2600 ($3700 for the stove, $2500 for the install). My quick research online makes me think that price is a little high, but even so I'd prefer not to spend more than $5000. To give you an idea of my chimney height, the sweep said I'd need 25' of liner.

I do like the flush and simple/sleek look of the Regency CI26700. Another example of the style I like is that FireplaceX Large Flush Rectangular.

If it helps, my fireplace opening is about 36" wide, 24" high, 24" deep, with the back wall 30" wide.

Thank you!

I have no idea what the particulars are of the house but if that includes the liner then I'd say he's giving you a good deal. Wait.....Nope, I double checked, that's a great deal for a CI2700 (model number is changed) including the liner and installation. You'd better jump quick because the prices went up a few weeks ago and that deal may not be good any longer.

Does the $2500 include a liner? If so is it insulated? As far as stove goes regency is a great stove. Flush inserts are beautiful but not practical (I know I have one). Shallow fire box make it easy for logs to roll off on the glass or you cut your wood very short to be able to load it N/S. There is a lot nice looking and great performing stoves.

Thanks for the replies. Yes the liner is included but the quote doesn't say if it is insulated so I would have to check. Is $2500 a decent quote for the install and liner? We would need a 25' kit; chimney is on an external wall; 13"x13" flue; and typical pitched asphalt shingle roof. The damper is 6" wide so that would need to be opened up.

It seems like materials are less than $1000 and not an overly complicated process. But I am sure I am overlooking many things as this is new to me.

CI2600 might be too much, but you can always just make small fires. I am able to heat 24/7 in Wisconsin with it. I paid $5500 for install with insulated 20' liner. If you take out the andirons, you can easily load 16" splits N/S, there is 17" depth.

Thanks for the replies. Yes the liner is included but the quote doesn't say if it is insulated so I would have to check. Is $2500 a decent quote for the install and liner? We would need a 25' kit; chimney is on an external wall; 13"x13" flue; and typical pitched asphalt shingle roof. The damper is 6" wide so that would need to be opened up.

It seems like materials are less than $1000 and not an overly complicated process. But I am sure I am overlooking many things as this is new to me.
The guy is in business to make a living not just break even and give everything away. Many things don't "seem complicated" when we look at them on YouTube but 2 hours into it we're wishing we would have let it alone and had it done the right way.

Reactions: MAD MARK
if i was in the market for a new flush insert i would probably get the brand new 2020 approved Osburn Matrix 2700. it looks incredible, has huge viewing glass, and also has a firebox that can take 16" splits north and south ( and 20" splits east/ west)