Recommendations for texts on hydronic heating systems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boomster

Oct 3, 2010
Central CT
Hey all,

I'm waiting for the new edition:

Modern Hydronic Heating: For Residential and Light Commercial Buildings, 3rd Edition

which now is scheduled to be available in January, 2011 (unfortunate timing). I have a vague recollection it was supposed to be available sometime this summer. Anyway, a friend loaned me the 2nd edition and I was very impressed with this work. It is, however, a pretty pricey book. What other texts on the subject can folks recommend? Initially I plan to have a fairly simple setup - joining both oil and a wood-fired boilers and perhaps adding some storage tanks. I do like having a reference that gives a fairly comprehensive look at what-all is available.

Thanks for your time.

Dan Holohan has a couple of "little books" that are great reads...."pumping away" and "primary/secondary". There may be others. He is involved over at the wall, heatinghelp.com. Another great resource. These are much cheaper than seigenthaler's book, and much more of just light reading. Seigenthaler's book is great.

also www.pmmag.com has an archive of all of Siggys monthly articles back to 1999. April 1999 has Wood & Water.

www.pmengineer also has an archive Oct 2003 is a good expansion tank sizing article.

You can find Modern Hydronics on used book store sites from time to time.

The next issue of Modern Hydronics will be full color and has a lot of updates. Here is an example.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.