Recommendations needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jth1963ut

Oct 15, 2007
salt lake city, UT
My existing fireplace deminsions are:

W 36”
H 281/2”
D 22”
WB* 28”

*Width at the back of the fireplace.

Would like to find an insert with the largest viewing window possible. I've read about the Morso 5660. I like the contempory look and the large viewing window but haven't been able to find any folks who have installed one.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

How big a home are you trying to heat?

For the best fire view, I think it's hard to beat the Osburn 2200i. The bay window design gives you a supurb view of the fire head on and from the side. The Hearthstone clydsdale also provides a huge piece of glass for viewing.

I think chimneysweeponline had a page at one time that compared the viewing area of several different inserts.

I have a split level home. The insert will be installed in the family room which is 14' x 24'. It's on the lower level. Directly above the family is the formal living room which is the same size. This room has a tile floor. I am hoping that the heat from the insert will help to heat this room as well.

I have a tri-level with the insert in the basement. Directly above is the family room, kitchen / dining area; from there it's seven steps up to the three bedrooms which are over the garage (opposite end from the insert). Total squre footage is a little over 1800.

My Osburn 2200i heats the basement and main level quite well. I do get heat up to the hall between the bedrooms, but for some reason I don't get heat into the bedrooms. I think small fans in the bedrooms to move cold air back toward the stove would help, but it's not uncomfortably cold an I'd rather have it cool for sleeping.

Depending on the square footage of your home, I think either the Clydsdale or the 2200i would heat it well. There are also other good choices out there to heat that space, but I think these are two of the best for view of the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.