Reconfiguring Woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I'm looking to alter my shed for better air flow, wood just isn't drying efficiently. I have used 3 rows with about 8" between; then 2 rows with 2' between.
I'm thinking of stacking along the perimeter, then maybe a few short stacks down the center. This way I can get airflow from all sides.

I know...shed supposed to be for dried wood. But sometimes this isn't practical.

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

Take the roof off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lone_Gun
As Solar Kiln have been posted many times on this forum, I am trying something.

About 4 weeks ago, I had 6 cords of red oak split. I stacked it and 2 weeks ago I tried the solar powered kiln method.

I stacked the wood, put some spare pallets on top and then covered with 4 mil transparent plastic. It started to sweat the next day. I check it daily and I see moisture is running down on the inside of the plastic. I plan to take the plastic off in Oct/Nov and then move it to the woodshed. By then the MC should be less than 15%. Have you considered this method?

I'm looking to alter my shed for better air flow, wood just isn't drying efficiently. I have used 3 rows with about 8" between; then 2 rows with 2' between.
I'm thinking of stacking along the perimeter, then maybe a few short stacks down the center. This way I can get airflow from all sides.

I know...shed supposed to be for dried wood. But sometimes this isn't practical.

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

I dry my wood in my shed, but my shed is vented on all sides to allow air to get in. One think you may want to consider is not going 5 rows deep.. i think thats what is giving you such a hard time.. i can stand on the back side of the shed and feel the air going through the stacks.. also my back panels are removable. I go 3 rows deep in mine

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
As Solar Kiln have been posted many times on this forum, I am trying something.

About 4 weeks ago, I had 6 cords of red oak split. I stacked it and 2 weeks ago I tried the solar powered kiln method.

I stacked the wood, put some spare pallets on top and then covered with 4 mil transparent plastic. It started to sweat the next day. I check it daily and I see moisture is running down on the inside of the plastic. I plan to take the plastic off in Oct/Nov and then move it to the woodshed. By then the MC should be less than 15%. Have you considered this method?

Just a heads up.. you shouldn't really see moisture on the inside of your kiln around here.. moisture on the inside is a clear indication that its not vented enough.. what is the inside temp in relation to the temp on the outside...
Also..it sounds like the wood is freshly split.. is this the case...

Just a heads up.. you shouldn't really see moisture on the inside of your kiln around here.. moisture on the inside is a clear indication that its not vented enough.. what is the inside temp in relation to the temp on the outside...
Also..it sounds like the wood is freshly split.. is this the case...

Yes, it was recently split, 3-4 weeks ago. It is open on each end of the row. Inside temp is 90's. What do you suggest me to do?

Yes, it was recently split, 3-4 weeks ago. It is open on each end of the row. Inside temp is 90's. What do you suggest me to do?

Top cover it only.. intill mid july... then kiln dry the wood untill october
When you do the plastic in july. Wrap the plastic all the way around the stacks and vent through the roof.. the roof should be like a foot above the stack. The air should be pulled from the floor and out the vents at the top. The wood needs to dry some naturally before you put it in the kiln.. if not.. it will not season correctly

Top cover it only.. intill mid july... then kiln dry the wood untill october
When you do the plastic in july. Wrap the plastic all the way around the stacks and vent through the roof.. the roof should be like a foot above the stack. The air should be pulled from the floor and out the vents at the top. The wood needs to dry some naturally before you put it in the kiln.. if not.. it will not season correctly

Thanks.

The inside of the kiln should be like 114 degrees with an outside temp of the low 80s..
You're not far from me.. if you need help let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
I dry my wood in my shed, but my shed is vented on all sides to allow air to get in. One think you may want to consider is not going 5 rows deep.. i think thats what is giving you such a hard time.. i can stand on the back side of the shed and feel the air going through the stacks.. also my back panels are removable. I go 3 rows deep in mine
My shed is at the property border, so there is bushes, trees on 3 sides. The side that faces my property is open to E/S sun. I try to clear as much around it, but it grows fast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So i'm out there around the shed cleaning up and it's very windy yesterday, and I notice the wind (not in winter) generally comes from the south/southwest. So I decided to orient the shed accordingly. I setup racks along both sides, the long back, and two additional rows front to back with 10" between. This way i'm hoping the shed will catch the wind from the front and it can circulate through rather than having full front face blocking the wind. Pics to come.

So i'm out there around the shed cleaning up and it's very windy yesterday, and I notice the wind (not in winter) generally comes from the south/southwest. So I decided to orient the shed accordingly. I setup racks along both sides, the long back, and two additional rows front to back with 10" between. This way i'm hoping the shed will catch the wind from the front and it can circulate through rather than having full front face blocking the wind. Pics to come.

You are correct.. my shed is facing south(the open part) the back is more north.. so the snow and winter rain beat sown on the back.. the front gets all the southerly winds ... you need to make shore the back and sides are vented to allow the wind to work through to help drying..my back is vented every 2 feet from bottom to top...the full lenth of the shed..

So I oriented the stacks from front to back leaving a 9-12" gap, depending on split length. Of course this means when fully packed, I'll need to pick from the one end so I need to sort by first use right to left.

I made a raised landing at the loading side out of scraps so I'm not standing in mud/snow while loading.
28d82e139f1ce59002fb590b1a2c41cb.jpg234df2a74c6f1273f55b12c42d22a6a6.jpg

I loaded the deepest two racks and I didn't foresee the added difficulty of loading when the side access is blocked. But that shouldn't be an an ongoing issue. I just need to remember to put my dryest wood up front.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Fill'd 'er up. Most of the right side will be used for outdoor burning in late summer/fall. Airflow seems good.
a2f9ba8d45c207e63d9d9ae8b2d9fbf8.jpg