Record lows tonight.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
IMG_0293.JPG
Single digits in my next of the woods. Pretty cold for April.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bigger_Al
One long winter. Everyone's stove is getting a work out this year. 6 to 7 month heating season for me.

This is stupid. Snow tomorrow? I have an outdoor oyster/BBQ/beer fest tomorrow. And it was 70 and awesome today, which makes it worse I think.

7E899E63-639C-4B38-BAD1-6B5E29D6EEA6.jpeg
We hit 23 today with 30 mph winds to make it feel colder if you were out. Tonight it’s going down to 4 and tomorrow night below zero. Yeah winters getting a bit long on the tooth. I took this photo on the road today. We still have lots of snow and the lake hasn’t started to melt yet.

20180406_224841.jpg
Haven't put a load this size in for a few weeks. I'd guess we're still making ice with nights like tonight

We got a couple more inches of snow today, this winter doesn't want to die. My furnace hasn't worked for two weeks, good thing I have enough wood to make it through, its going to end up being a 5+ cord year.

Stupidest weather I have ever seen.
I live in Kansas, its April, I just mowed, and now there is snow in my yard. :mad:

I think were getting the cold polar air and weather ,while the arctic is getting the warm pacific air and melting the ice caps. Ironically global warming may mean cooling for parts of the the US. And over heating for other areas.

I’ve been mowing between snow storms. 28F tonight, but I mowed 2 hours ago.
They say 0 for tonight’s low. I mow large cabin lawns for a living in the summer so I hope the seasons now too delayed. I usually start mowing in the first week of May. Got to pay for my new Husqvarna PZ72 :)

La Nina year.
I think were getting the cold polar air and weather ,while the arctic is getting the warm pacific air and melting the ice caps. Ironically global warming may mean cooling for parts of the the US. And over heating for other areas.
Yes, this is not the same as local or seasonal weather. This is an interesting animation of increasing temps around the planet.

20's in the Hollow tonight .... 60's by the weekend.

I hope.

Keep telling myself that this is the last wheel barrow full of wood :mad:

20's in the Hollow tonight .... 60's by the weekend.

I hope.

Keep telling myself that this is the last wheel barrow full of wood :mad:
I have been cutting as much hardwood as I can these last two years. We are seeing more rain, snow, larger storms and winds. Shoulder seasons seem to be getting longer. I started burning the first week of October this past fall. I am still burning right now. Crazy, colder weather.

They say 0 for tonight’s low. I mow large cabin lawns for a living in the summer so I hope the seasons now too delayed. I usually start mowing in the first week of May. Got to pay for my new Husqvarna PZ72 :)
I sold my 72 inch mower. It was a monster on flat land, but just too big for anything but wide open flat spaces. My yard is hilly and full of trees, so I'm running a Deere ZTrak 757 with 60 inch deck and Kawasaki 25hp V-twin, now. Chassis is stiff, which makes it a rougher ride than most ZT's, but it's quick and nimble.

I sold my 72 inch mower. It was a monster on flat land, but just too big for anything but wide open flat spaces. My yard is hilly and full of trees, so I'm running a Deere ZTrak 757 with 60 inch deck and Kawasaki 25hp V-twin, now. Chassis is stiff, which makes it a rougher ride than most ZT's, but it's quick and nimble.
I have another Husqvarna 60” zero turn if I need it with a Kawasaki 24hp engine. They are good. The new mower has a 31hp Kohler EFI engine though that I think I’ll like too. I bought it in the fall to get the best price on it so it only has 3 hours on it so far. Also the new 72 incher mows at 12 mph and it’s rated at 7 acres an hour. My next mower might be a Hustler Super 104 if I can land a school contract in Hayward Wisconsin.

Last edited:
I just looked at our forecast up to the 19th and it doesn’t look good. That say plowable snow this weekend from Friday through Sunday with highs in the upper 20’s. This is getting to be a real bummer...:confused:

Also the new 72 incher mows at 12 mph and it’s rated at 7 acres an hour.
That’s a very optimistic rating based on never having to slow down, round an obstacle, or even turn.

The math:

12 mph = 17.6 ft/sec
x 72” x 3600 sec/hr = 300,690 sq.ft./hr. = 6.9 ac/hr

By the same token, my 757 ZTrak with 60” deck at 9.5 mph would yield a calculated 5.6 acres per hour, but I’ve never managed to mow my 3.5 acres of hilly and tree-littered lawn in much less than 2 hours (i.e. 2 acres per hour).

One does have to stop and turn a few times per hour, unless your yard is 72” wide and 12 miles long. Most of us also have 5% - 10% overlap in our consecutive passes.

That’s a serious mower either way, but I’d expect most folks realistically hover below half of the calculated rating, on acres per hour.

That’s a very optimistic rating based on never having to slow down, round an obstacle, or even turn.

The math:

12 mph = 17.6 ft/sec
x 72” x 3600 sec/hr = 300,690 sq.ft./hr. = 6.9 ac/hr

By the same token, my 757 ZTrak with 60” deck at 9.5 mph would yield a calculated 5.6 acres per hour, but I’ve never managed to mow my 3.5 acres of hilly and tree-littered lawn in much less than 2 hours (i.e. 2 acres per hour).

One does have to stop and turn a few times per hour, unless your yard is 72” wide and 12 miles long. Most of us also have 5% - 10% overlap in our consecutive passes.

That’s a serious mower either way, but I’d expect most folks realistically hover below half of the calculated rating, on acres per hour.
I know that they don’t give real world mowing rates but if everyone uses the same speed and width formula then they have something to go by. It’s all the stuff you have to go around, the trees and the shrubs that slow you down. A wide open football field is where a big fast mower will really shine but even then I’d have to turn around every 300’ or so. But still, I have a neighbor here that I mow with lots to go around, trees etc. It used to take me 2 hours and 20 minutes with a 50" garden tractor then it was less with the 60" ZT and now I have it down to 35 minutes with the 72’ ZT. Here is his place. He only comes up from Illinois twice a year to use it.

CA707375-FB5F-42A0-8F57-C719626C5AD2.png

45º and dropping. Lit up our first fire in a week tonight.