Rectangular Hole At Top Of Firebox - What Is This?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newland07

Dec 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Any help in sorting this out would be much appreciated. I purchased a foreclosed home and renovated the property. The home has a Dovre fireplace, although it looks like a wood stove disguised as a fireplace. I had the fireplace inspected and cleaned but have not used it yet. The fireplace was dirty, but it was cleaned and I was told everything looked okay. The inspection was way earlier in the year, and for kicks, I had a look recently to make sure everything looked okay as I intend have a lot of fires this winter. Towards the top of the firebox there is a rectangular hole, part of it looks like a factory cut but part of it looks rather hastily cut, or worse, like something may have broken off. It appears still be sealed, i.e. not open into the wall cavity. I am wondering if this is a fresh air intake or something to be concerned about. The company I used to clean and inspect the unit doesn't know by looking at the photo, and they are not so readily available to come out to have a look, which is a little concerning. I am curious to know if anybody knows what this is while I seek out another inspector. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Fireplace Hole.jpg
    Fireplace Hole.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 229
Any help in sorting this out would be much appreciated. I purchased a foreclosed home and renovated the property. The home has a Dovre fireplace, although it looks like a wood stove disguised as a fireplace. I had the fireplace inspected and cleaned but have not used it yet. The fireplace was dirty, but it was cleaned and I was told everything looked okay. The inspection was way earlier in the year, and for kicks, I had a look recently to make sure everything looked okay as I intend have a lot of fires this winter. Towards the top of the firebox there is a rectangular hole, part of it looks like a factory cut but part of it looks rather hastily cut, or worse, like something may have broken off. It appears still be sealed, i.e. not open into the wall cavity. I am wondering if this is a fresh air intake or something to be concerned about. The company I used to clean and inspect the unit doesn't know by looking at the photo, and they are not so readily available to come out to have a look, which is a little concerning. I am curious to know if anybody knows what this is while I seek out another inspector. Thanks in advance!

I should note the top of the photo of the fireplace represents the flue. Also, the unit and chimney were professionally inspected and cleaned with no mention of this rectangular hole..

I should note the top of the photo of the fireplace represents the flue. Also, the unit and chimney were professionally inspected and cleaned with no mention of this rectangular hole..
A pic of the entire stove would help folks identify it and probably tell you what the hole is .

More photos uploaded. Exterior shot, exterior shot with door open, hole and flue, and the hole itself. The hole appears to be cut intentionally. It is a Dovre, but I cannot find a model number. There is an ash pan under the grate. There is a blower fan as well.

I am wondering if the hole is there to aid air/oxygen to fuel the fire as the door seals shut. Again, any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Fireplace 1.JPG
    Fireplace 1.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Fireplace 2.JPG
    Fireplace 2.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 233
  • Hole and Flue.JPG
    Hole and Flue.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Hole.JPG
    Hole.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 194
i just removed a Dovre Sunburst from my house (actually looks just like yours but grey), provided no heat and had zero air controls.I couldn't control a fire in it. I can say mine did not have that hole in the firebox, I will double check tonight when I get home

Status
Not open for further replies.