Red Maple-ought oh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
Last April I helped my wife's uncle take down a 24"DBH red maple that was sickly near his house. I just cut it into rounds and dropped it off between some fields at my inlaws.

I was worried it wouldn't be in very good shape because it had some punk in spots when I cut it and it was just piled up sitting on the ground. Add to that we had an extremely wet June and July for Indiana.

image.jpg
I split a couple on top if the pile and they were solid. Next I dug some out of the grass on the edges. Split it and it had some spalting, but not too awful.
image.jpg
A couple of the large rounds I didn't mess with splitting. They were punky in places when I cut it and water was squirting g out of them when I drove a wedge.
image.jpg
In all I ended up with just shy of 2/3 cord. I tossed maybe 1/3 of a cord into the woods to become dirt. This is next years shoulder wood. I wish I would have got it split sooner, but it just didn't work out.
image.jpg

Heck, I woulda split it all, it's all heat once it's dry......... Punky or not lol [emoji106] good score just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.