Red oak a year old.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Cut a small red oak that fell a year ago,laying in the woods. Split it this week this is the last of it about six of these wagon loads.Not one bad piece in the pile.
cartwood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I am loving me some red oak secondaries right now.

red oak is my fav - with Beech being a close second - its all I burn

Cut a small red oak that fell a year ago,laying in the woods. Split it this week this is the last of it about six of these wagon loads.Not one bad piece in the pile. View attachment 189301
Nice looking stuff! Red oak is my fave, too. It can take a while to dry out, though...did you happen to check the MC?

Nice looking stuff! Red oak is my fave, too. It can take a while to dry out, though...did you happen to check the MC?
Actually no,I have two moisture meters,but in all honesty I haven't used either in two years.I've gotten pretty good at guessing by the weight,sound,looks of the pieces. Also the BK will always give hints if the wood is too green. Been on the money,I know this stuff isn't ready dull heavy thud when whacked together. For the fun of it I'll check some pieces and see.

Reactions: D8Chumley
MMMMM Red Oak I can smell it from here....
Like the smell of white oak better, kinda like a vanilla oak smell, but love the spicier red oak too. Some hate red, but all oak smells great to me.

I get allot of red oak. I cut a truckload of tops Saturday. 81278f85ae4a288e6d78e1a6efb60363.jpg

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Red oak in the stove right now lol, just cant beat that heat

Reactions: Tom123
Anybody know if there's much of a difference between the wood of northern red oak and southern? I used to think that I had only northern (Quercus rubra) but recently realized that I have both. Just wondering if there's any noticeable difference in how they split or burn.

This is part of a tree that got blown over the other day - there is 2 pile of this plus all the lap wood from the top - nice and straight - not to big - easy splitter !
IMG_3442.JPG

Reactions: mwhitnee
Anybody know if there's much of a difference between the wood of northern red oak and southern? I used to think that I had only northern (Quercus rubra) but recently realized that I have both. Just wondering if there's any noticeable difference in how they split or burn.
The northern oak is better with oatmeal, bacon, and eggs and the southern oak is better with grits, biscuits, & sausage gravy....
;) ;) ;) ;)
I really have no idea.

I've only had a few northern red oaks come my way. Seem to be more dense and straight grained then other varieties. I have a buddy who told me when they logged his property that northern brought more money. One thing I'm sure of it all makes my hind parts warm.

Love red oak. I let it season 4 years, and it's the best. 2 years is still a lot of hissing and steaming

All that would rot before I had time to burn it lol
Depends on how it's stored,I'm going to post some pics of 10 year old red oak that was stored and still is in a weatherproof lean to,it's 100% perfect.Not mine,all mine is on pallets outside .

Status
Not open for further replies.