Red Spruce? ID Help, Please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennsyltucky Chris

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2014
Nockamixon, Pa
I believe I have about 2 dozen rounds. It's pretty sappy. The white pine I've been splitting appears like it will be dry in a week. This stuff looks like it may need 2 summers. I'll add some pics in a few. If anyone has any, in the meantime, I would greatly appreciate it if you could post them. Thanks

1e8f624a5afa488b42e548fa7cfe4956.png

What is this?

Scotch Pine is my call.

Scotch pine is a good bet, else maybe some top-wood of a red pine. Both of these are "yellow pines" also called "hard pines" by some, which are distinctly different wood-wise from the white/soft pines. Probably better btu-wise as well, but don't know about drying time.

I'm just a bit down the road from you and it looks just like the base of the stuff I'm splitting and stacking right now (which I thought was White Pine). This stuff seems to dry in the wheel barrow on the way to the stack. If it is the same stuff I'm thinking it will be dry by opening kickoff.

I'm just a bit down the road from you and it looks just like the base of the stuff I'm splitting and stacking right now (which I thought was White Pine). This stuff seems to dry in the wheel barrow on the way to the stack. If it is the same stuff I'm thinking it will be dry by opening kickoff.

I got it with a ton of white pine..... Nothing would shock me right now.

Most definitely not White Pine.

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
I'm going to guess Ponderosa or Scots Pine, with an outside chance that it's Lodgepole. Looks like a lot of the trees that grow out this way.

I know you're the expert..... Any idea what it is? It's very sappy in the middle and sides of some splits. Red bark, as you can see. It feels heavy. Do I need two summers, if you can ID it?
Scotch Pine. Never tried to dry it Have no idea how long it might take.

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
I'm going to guess Ponderosa or Scots Pine, with an outside chance that it's Lodgepole. Looks like a lot of the trees that grow out this way.

There is no Lodgepole pine out east.

I know you're the expert..... Any idea what it is? It's very sappy in the middle and sides of some splits. Red bark, as you can see. It feels heavy. Do I need two summers, if you can ID it?
I'm not sure what it is but I have some I let season 2 years and its still pretty heavy, I thought it would be light as a feather like the pine I have and its not, probably means better btu's too but I'm not sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.