Reducer/expander question with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
The Castine has a 6" outlet and I'm connecting 6" pipe to that. The chimney is 8". Fine...nothing to crazy there.

I bought a reducer/expander when we picked up the stove. The 6" end is crimped, the 8" end is smooth. Again, according to my readings, crimped end faces the stove. But...the pipe that I removed from the previous owner's stove was crimped at the end going into the thimble. My new reducer/expander won't fit...I guess you can't connect two female ends together. (duh!)

What the best way to proceed here? I understand that the crimped/male ends should always face the stove. Do they make a reducer/expander that's crimped on both ends?

The pics are of the old pipe(this I why I never throw anything away..until the new thing is working and has been working!)

The thimble, and my setup...with the ill fitting reducer/expander.

Attachments

• IMG_1127 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1127 (Medium).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_1126 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1126 (Medium).JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_1131 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1131 (Medium).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 530
Do you have Selkirk Metalbestos brand chimney pipe? That first pic sure looks like a Selkirk finishing collar. If so, remove the finishing collar and get an 8DSP-CPA chimney pipe adapter. It will twist into the first piece of chimney pipe and provide the 8" male connection that you need. The finishing collar and screws will lock the adapter in place.

You're on the money Ron! Good eyes! Now I know what those raised "fins" are for inside the pipe.

Looks like there aren't really any Selkirk dealers that are local to me. They list "Lowe's", but a quick search only shows them as carrying 4" pipe and adapters. I guess this is something I'll order online. It probably can't hurt to order a new finishing collar too...that current on is pretty rusty.

Oh, and a big "thanks" to whomever built that hearth. They cemented a stone right in front of the last screw that needs to be removed to get the collar removed. I may end up cutting it off...or chiseling the stone.

Skier76 said:
Oh, and a big "thanks" to whomever built that hearth. They cemented a stone right in front of the last screw that needs to be removed to get the collar removed. I may end up cutting it off...or chiseling the stone.
Would you expect anything less??? :cheese:

Wet1 said:
Skier76 said:
Would you expect anything less??? :cheese:

HA! Tell me about it!

Ron,
Thanks for your help! I ordered the part yesterday along with a new finishing collar.

RS267 said:
Excellent! Glad I was able to help.

Huge help Ron! The part came Friday, I tossed the box in our Jeep and we headed to VT. I tackled the install on Saturday. The part fit like a glove; twisted right into place. The reducer the slid right on to it! Sweet! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.