reducing clearances in an alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robman

Oct 13, 2017
Oakland, CA
Hi
I have a contractor retrofitting an alcove to put a wood stove in. It previously had a fireplace. He has framed inside with wood, to less than the clearances prescribed by the stove and believes that having a layer of fire taped type x sheetrock and then metal studs with cement board and tiles (no air gap) is OK and that we would then use the measurement to noncombustible materials. In other words, he believes that because the tiles and the sheetrock are non combustible that is the distance to measure, not to the wood behind them. Is this correct?

Thanks

The distance is measured to the nearest combustible surface. In this case it would be the sheetrock. Type X still has a paper based outer layer. There are easier and maybe better ways to address the problem if the stove manufacturer allows a clearance reduction with NFPA wall shielding.

What we would need for further comment is the stove make/model and actual dimensions of the alcove.

Hi
I have a contractor retrofitting an alcove to put a wood stove in. It previously had a fireplace. He has framed inside with wood, to less than the clearances prescribed by the stove and believes that having a layer of fire taped type x sheetrock and then metal studs with cement board and tiles (no air gap) is OK and that we would then use the measurement to noncombustible materials. In other words, he believes that because the tiles and the sheetrock are non combustible that is the distance to measure, not to the wood behind them. Is this correct?

Thanks
Nope. Follow the instructions in the manual. If it doesn't say you can reduce clearances you cant. If it does do what they say to do it. And I would find a new contractor. He obviously is making up his own rules and that is not what you want when it comes to a stove install