reducing radiant heat from stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Theodore2

May 8, 2018
New York
Hi.
I know this might be a weird question, but, it gets too hot to sit infront of our wood stove insert, and our living room is too small to reorient ourselves. Is there any typical method to maybe put up a screen for the radiant heat? Like, if there was a metal screen to put up infront of the wood stove insert temporarily, i.e. while it's raging hot so we can sit and watch TV and not bake in front of the fire? If I throttle down the air baffle to lower the combustion, it helps. But I'd much rather enjoy the convection heating the room than the radiant heat while we're sitting in close proximity.
Thanks

What stove make and model is this? How close are you to the stove?

OK, that is a convective insert. Are the blowers on or off?
Turn down the air sooner and further to reduce output. Other than that a metal screen could be improvised.

OK, that is a convective insert. Are the blowers on or off?
Turn down the air sooner and further to reduce output. Other than that a metal screen could be improvised.
Correct. It's not about the blowers, which are off. It's about the direct radiant heat. Just wondering if metal screens are made for this sort of thing before I try to make my own (and potentially get scowls from the aesthetics and décor director of the house).

They have some nice free standing screens and shields that have designs plasma cut into them, or you could do one case hardened for the multi colored affect.

Would running blower reduce the radiant heat produced? Do you have a ceiling fan you can run blowing up. Just a little moving helps one feel much cooler

I put a folding laundry rack with wet clothes, blanket, or towels between me and the stove. Dries laundry, humidifies the air, gives me a place to hide.

Ive seen fireplace screens on ebay, vintage ones. Made to deter sparks, it might work to deflect heat?

The % of radiated heat you reduction you see should be approximately equal to the % of the area that the screen blocks. So if the screen only covers 10% of the area youll only see a 10% reduction in radiation. Now if the screen heats up then it could start radiating as well which would reduce the affect but probably not significantly.

The Napoleon 1402 is a mostly convective stove. The radiant heat is from the front door. A basic screen could be made using plumbing pipe for the frame and tacking or screwing a sheet of 24 ga metal to the frame. If this is placed at the edge of the hearth in front of the stove door, almost all of the radiant heat will be blocked.

Reactions: BillBurns
I have a chair 4 feet in front of my stove - a drolet myriad and I keep the glass very clean. Sure, there is radiant out of the glass, but if you run the fire on secondary air, like you should, it is greatly diminished. Also, the radiant heat diminishes as the square of the distance, so it should drop off rapidly as you move away from the front of the stove.

Reactions: spuldup