Reducing the clearance behind my wood stove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangoonboth

Nov 19, 2019
Michigan
I'm putting in a new Pleasant hearth 2200 wood stove and I need some advice on the clearance behind the stove. The specs say It needs 16 inches to combustibles behind it. I am planning on using Micore 300 over ½" drywall (that covers 2x4 wood studs). Then ½" durock over the Micore, and finally a tile that has yet to be decided on. So my question is with this combination of non-combustibles, how close can I set the stove to the wall. I'm trying to use the existing chimney in the roof and if I can push my stove back far enough, I will avoid having to put elbows in my stovepipe. Thanks.

The extra layer of micore and durock are unnecessary. Put the sheet of durock on 1" spacers with a 1" gap top and bottom so that air can convect behind it. That will reduce the clearance down to 12".

Could I build a wall out from my drywalled wall with 2½ inch metal studs then adding durock then some sort of tile leaving a gap on the top and bottom for air. Would sometime like that work?