refactory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2003

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2010
southern ohio
does anyone see any probs using 2 inch fire brick for secondary burn chamber down draft . has anyone attempted this and got some pics they could post or any feed back on how its doing

Nofossil tried this quite a long period ago. If I remember correctly he built a labarith under his nozzles and they turned to gravel quite quickly. I dont think regular firebrick will take the heat and you need refractory material.

i appricate the feed back , saved me from a mistake... has anyone tried making thier own refractory , from a blast furnace reciepe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_brick

The topic of "firebricks" and "refractory" can be confusing because there are a variety of products out there using those names, but they are not all comparable products. You want to look for a product that says it is ceramic or high temperature. Make certain is rated for temps well above 2000* so that they will last a while.

I can tell you from recent experience, I have warped firebrick and refractories that are rated under 3,000F have failed.
I suspect that any gasifier should only use firebrick or refractory that is rated to 3,000F, just to cover your butt.
At that point, firebrick might work, if rated for these temps.

With a lot of refractory scraps,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.