reflecting heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brad wilton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2014
quebec
just wondering seeing how i have 22 inches to the back of fireplace opening could i install a sheet of that reflective emergency blanket the silver stuff glue it to duraroc board to help return heat into house

Those blankets are combustible so as long as you have proper clearance i dont see why you couldnt

I just have to convince the wife,she might find it kind of ugly.if it works I think it would really radiate heat back at the house

......i wonder if reynolds wrap would work....probably wouldn't be too pretty.

Most stoves have heat shields on their back so this would not be too effective. It you try use only non-combustible materials like sheet metal and screws, no glue. A sheet of stainless would be perfect, but aluminum will do.

Is a block of plate installed? If not, install one. If there is, I don't see a heck of a lot of heat being lost back there.
Is the plan to put the board at the fireplace opening? No idea where your stove or insert sits in the firebox?

What is behind your fireplace? If it is at an exterior wall, adding some insulation may help. A layer of Roxul and then some cementboard which can be painted will help keeping the heat in. A reflective layer won't really be necessary. See this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/finally-got-around-to-insulating-my-fireplace.75755/
For an interior fireplace, I would not bother. Whatever heat hits the wall will be radiated in the room behind it.

Hogwildz it sits outside firebox to big to fit in.grisu it is on outside wall 2 ft thick non insulated sort of like heating basement .trying to squeeze every bit of heat back to living area

2 ft is a lot. You could take an IR thermometer outside and check how much heat you lose through the back of the fireplace. May not be that much. Stuffing Roxul in the fireplace and putting some non-combustible finish in front of it (sheet metal, painted cementboard, stone veneer etc.) will certainly not hurt, though. If there is enough rear clearance you could even look at something combustible like a wood panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.