Regency CI1250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

noobie

Jan 23, 2018
DC, Maryland, Virginia
I am currently in the market for a small to medium sized wood stove insert. I am looking for something more contemporary, so I've been drawn towards the flush-type inserts. I went to a local store, and they have a CI1250 floor model that they want to sell. I would be getting a pretty good deal on it if I elect to make the purchase.

I've had several contractors come out to to take a look at my floorplan and to hear what I intend to get from this purchase. I have a roughly 2000sq split foyer home. The fireplace is in the lower level on the side of the house -- lucky for me it's on the colder side of the house. There are two air returns for my air handler adjacent to the fireplace, which should help to distribute heat from the wood stove throughout the entire house.

I intend to use the stove insert mainly as a supplemental form of heat for the room it's being placed in (about 400sqf) and in the space the floor above it (about 600sqf). If I can get any bonus heat from the air returns distributing some of the heat throughout the house, that'd be great. But I also fear that the air returns might steal some heat from the space I intend to heat up.

For those that have a CI1250, will this unit fit my needs? Any other suggestions from the community would be awesome!

It's a medium small insert that will be good for 4-6 hr. burns. 2hrs if it is being pushed for heat. It probably will be ok for an area heater, though a lot of the heat will naturally convect up the stairway to the upper level if that is close by. I would not depend on this for whole house heating. We need to know the fireplace size if you want to go larger. Also, is there a combustible mantel that needs to be taken into account for clearances? And is this a full masonry fireplace?

It's a medium small insert that will be good for 4-6 hr. burns. 2hrs if it is being pushed for heat. It probably will be ok for an area heater, though a lot of the heat will naturally convect up the stairway to the upper level if that is close by. I would not depend on this for whole house heating. We need to know the fireplace size if you want to go larger. Also, is there a combustible mantel that needs to be taken into account for clearances? And is this a full masonry fireplace?

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like it would do its job, but with the inconvenience of more frequent loadings when it's really cold out. I wasn't expecting a 2hr burn time if I really pushed it. That's valuable feedback.

The firebox is 34.5in wide and 27in high in a full masonry fireplace. The mantel clearance is OK. I know I can fit a larger unit, but I thought I'd ask if this smaller unit could meet my needs since the dealer really wants to get rid of it and would be passing on a big chunk of savings. The staircase shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: