Regency Classic HI301 and I2400M

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_PA

Jan 3, 2015
Hello everyone and Happy New Year. New to this forum and hopefully will find some answers. I went to my local fireplace store thinking of replacing my fireplace doors.I made an appointment for the measurements but I'm now also considering a fireplace insert. I got a few quotes from the sales person for Regency I2400M and HI301. $4,300 and $4,500 installed (including electric work) respectively(does not look like tax were included). I need to know if these prices are ok because reading multiple posts on this forum I see that people paid $500-$800 less then I was quoted. These are the quotes I was given without them inspecting my fireplace first. I can also post the detailed quotes.
I appreciate any input. Best regards, M.

Welcome. Good stove choices. The insert is going to need a full liner. Is there a full chimney liner installation included in the quote or just a stub above the damper? What electrical work is included?

Welcome. Good stove choices. The insert is going to need a full liner. Is there a full chimney liner installation included in the quote or just a stub above the damper? What electrical work is included?
Hello begreen. I'm completely new to inserts and what is needed for the install. I'm attaching a pic of one of the quotes they gave me. Electrical - they will run the wire inside the wall so I don't have to plug the unit into my wall outlet. About 3-4'.
FP_Quotes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems pretty reasonable and yes, there is a full liner in there. No sales tax?

Is this insert going into a fireplace with an outdoor chimney or indoor?

Be aware that you need for any modern insert dry wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20%. That will be quite different to the wood you may be used to burning in your fireplace. That level is usually achieved by stacking the split firewood in a sunny and windy location for 2 to 3 years. Softwoods (when top-covered) and fast drying species like ash may only need one year to dry sufficiently. If you don't have any dry wood yet, I would suggest to take your time with the insert purchase. In the mean time get your wood set up.

Nevertheless, if you are considering converting your inefficient fireplace in a real heater a fireplace insert is certainly a good idea. The proper insert size will depend on the amount of space you want to heat with the caveat that it will still need to fit into your fireplace. If you tell us more about your home (size, insulation, location of the fireplace, floorplan etc.) we may be able to tell you which inserts will serve best your needs. The Regency units are good, dependable heaters but there are plenty others out there that work just as well and may be a better fit or whose design could be more to your liking. Before doing a $4000+ investment it does not hurt to look at the available options.

Check the Regency website for any promotions going on. They often have either free accesories or free blower promos during the course of the year. When we bought our I3100, we got the blower for free.

Otherwise, your prices seem reasonable. Does the install include any local code certifications if required?

Isn't the Hampton the snazzier version? For 200 bucks more, would seem a good deal. Then again, I have a hi300. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.