Regency F2400 air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Louisbasle

Dec 20, 2019
Poestenkill new york
I have a regency f3100 stove. Love the stove but have a problem. If I put more than four pieces of wood in the stove I can not control the fire or heat output. I have the air turned all the way down. The fire will still burn very hot. The stove top will be over 900 degrees. Because of this I do not get good burn times. I put a damper in the chimney pipe but that does not help.
Any suggestions.

I have a regency f3100 stove. Love the stove but have a problem. If I put more than four pieces of wood in the stove I can not control the fire or heat output. I have the air turned all the way down. The fire will still burn very hot. The stove top will be over 900 degrees. Because of this I do not get good burn times. I put a damper in the chimney pipe but that does not help.
Any suggestions.
How tall is your chimney

I'll watch this one as I am considering a 3100 for an outbuilding, and wow I have learned the importance of draft... bholler, didn't you run one of these before? Did you ever measure your draft on it? Flue damper?

Have you checked the door gasket? The ash plug or ash plug cover? At 15 you shouldn't be over drafting
Agree, that's not a tall chimney, but if all inside and very cold out, it could pull pretty good...

@bholler Do you mind quickly sharing your setup you ran with this stove? Chimney height, damper, draft measurement if you did etc? Cheers

Agree, that's not a tall chimney, but if all inside and very cold out, it could pull pretty good...

@bholler Do you mind quickly sharing your setup you ran with this stove? Chimney height, damper, draft measurement if you did etc? Cheers
I ran it on 2 chimneys. My old one was 35' it measured almost neg 2" but with 2 dampers it was completely controllable. My new house is about 18' it is about neg .07" and works fine

Reactions: Nigel459
Any suggestions.
Tell us a bit about how you run the stove, starting with the wood being burned. When do you start turning down the air and how far?

Yes all that is good. Like I said I even put a damper in the stove pipe to cut the draft but no change.
How did you check those things in question?

I wouldn't burn the stove until you get this sorted; At 900*, it is overfiring and that may result in damage.

Used the dollar bill sliding through the door. There is no ash plug.
There is a cover for the ash plug under the brick that has caused trouble n other stoves pull the brick up and seal that cover with high temp silicone. I don't know if that is the problem. But with 15 ' of stack you should be fine. So I think you have a leak somewhere

Reactions: Woody Stover
At what stack temp do you start shutting back?

And how big are your splits? What do they measure on a side..3", 4", 6"?

I will do that. Will have to let stove cool down.
Thank you for your interest in this problem.
You would think with a damper in the pipe it would shut down any overdraft problem.
Thanks again

Could you answer these questions?
Tell us a bit about how you run the stove, starting with the wood being burned. Wood split size, how dry?
When do you start turning down the air and how far?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Wood is various. Some cherry, oak, elm and maple. The wood is seasoned. Size is 4 to 6 inch pieces.
I would put two to three pieces on hot coals and leave air all the way open till the wood gets going good. Then turn it all the way down. The wood will burn good. Stove will be about 400 degrees surface temp.
If I was to put 4 to 6 pieces with the air all the way down The stove will get to be 900 degrees and that is with air all the way down.

Often we find that the fire is not turned down quickly enough. Next time try turning down the air as soon as the logs start burning well. Maybe turn it down 50-60% or until the flames get lazy. As soon as the fire regains strength, turn it down again, maybe all the way the second time. For additional guidance, if the stove has single-wall stovepipe, take the thermometer off the stove top and put it on the stovepipe about 18" above the stove. Start turning down the air when the temp on the stovepipe reaches about 250º.

Often we find that the fire is not turned down quickly enough. Next time try turning down the air as soon as the logs start burning well. Maybe turn it down 50-60% or until the flames get lazy. As soon as the fire regains strength, turn it down again, maybe all the way the second time. For additional guidance, if the stove has single-wall stovepipe, take the thermometer off the stove top and put it on the stovepipe about 18" above the stove. Start turning down the air when the temp on the stovepipe reaches about 250º.
Ok will try that. Thanks for the info

I would put two to three pieces on hot coals and leave air all the way open till the wood gets going good.
If the coal bed is too hot when reloading, the fresh wood can off gas very quickly, which can launch things out of control if your setup is prone to higher draft (or you have a leak.)