Regency I2400 install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zhukpavlo

Sep 2, 2008
Western Mass
Hello - I am planning on installing a regency I2400 insert and both regency dealers and chimney-sweep/installer told me I don't need a blockoff plate at the damper. The manual doesn't mention it either. I haven't decided if I will install it myself or have the sweep do it. Should I use the blockoff plate? My chimney is external and is just shy of 14 feet. There is not enough room to insulate the liner. Thanks for all your help.

sure would, gonna help stop that hot air rising and radiating out of yer chimney

Just had my Regency I2400 installed in July. Now I find out about the blockoff plates. Wish I had known before the install.. I have a one piece SS liner and it's sealed to the top of the chimney liner. I don;t think I can move it without breaking the seal up there. So... I have to make a two piece blockoff plate sometime and install it.

I would do it at install time. Your at the right place (here)! Wish I found these forums before my purchase even.

So far I love my 2400. We'll see when it's 0 degrees out this winter...

My 2 cents, having been in your spot.

I have the hampton HI300 which is the same unit with a pretty face. I can tell you from experience that the topplate will give way and usually when it is really cold. I just removed my whole setup and reinstalled it with the blockoff plate. I will let you know what the difference is when I get back to WI on Friday and assuming its cold enough. When the top plate was sealed the heat was great, when the seal broke the house become dry dry dry and was difficult to maintain temp except with a full load. I am told the block off plate increases the heat output even more. On a side note I did mine to seal it up, safety, and my masonary chimney chase was heating up, heating my attic and creating ice damns. Now I should not have to worry about it! Good luck and welcome to the sickness!!!

Not to hijack... Burntime, can you PM me how you removed the surround on the insert. I want to do the same as you. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies - I will go with the blockoff plate at the bottom and if no one wants to do it - I will install it myself. Seems like it's more work and no one wants to deal with it. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.