Regency I3100 L cracks on front plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ErinK

Nov 16, 2021
Cummington, MA
Our 8-year-old Regency I3100 L has some cracks on the front plate, on top left and right of door opening. Could these be repaired by welding, or do we need to start shopping for a new stove? We noticed the cracks midway through season last year, they seem to have grown a bit. They are still covered by the door.

IMG_6513.JPG IMG_6514 (1).JPG

If you had repaired it a while ago it could have been welded. It looks to far gone now. Are you the original owner and is the ul tag still intact? If so it is covered under warranty

Reactions: ErinK
Thank you, super helpful! We are the original owners. Looks like we will need to pull the blower off to confirm that the ID tag is legible and in place. Fingers crossed.

Thank you, super helpful! We are the original owners. Looks like we will need to pull the blower off to confirm that the ID tag is legible and in place. Fingers crossed.
Out of curiosity, were you successful in getting regency to cover the labor portion of your warranty even though it’s past the 5 year mark?

Out of curiosity, were you successful in getting regency to cover the labor portion of your warranty even though it’s past the 5 year mark?
No regency will not cover labor after 5 years. But the dealer may.

Hi - Unfortunately we are having trouble locating the receipt. :-( :-( We have all the other installation paperwork and permit from the town etc. We might be out of luck...

Reactions: creek chub
Hi - Unfortunately we are having trouble locating the receipt. :-( :-( We have all the other installation paperwork and permit from the town etc. We might be out of luck...
Your dealer should be able to get a copy of your bill of sale. Have you contacted them?

You shouldn't need the receipt

Reactions: ErinK
Regency required a receipt/bill of sale for my warranty claim
Wow. In the end Regency did not stand behind the product? I'm in the same situation, I have pictures of the install going in, and am the original owner. That is very disappointing if that is the case. Ugh. What did you end up replacing the unit with? My unit cracked almost exactly as did yours.

The local small business that sold and installed the stove for us told us that we had overfired the stove and that this voided the warranty. He was unwilling to help us contact Regency to see if they would support a claim. We are very disappointed and in the midst of looking at replacement options. It is true that we have overfired the stove on a few occasions but not regularly, and since others are having this same issue it seems this is likely not due to misuse of the stove.

The local small business that sold and installed the stove for us told us that we had overfired the stove and that this voided the warranty. He was unwilling to help us contact Regency to see if they would support a claim. We are very disappointed and in the midst of looking at replacement options. It is true that we have overfired the stove on a few occasions but not regularly, and since others are having this same issue it seems this is likely not due to misuse of the stove.
Sorry to hear this. I'm curious what your replacement will be?

If you overfired the stove, I really can’t blame them. Still sucks tho

I’m in same situation. 5k for a new regency is crazy

I’m in same situation. 5k for a new regency is crazy
I will never purchase another regency after my experience. They did provide a smaller unit under warranty which was a nice gesture, especially since I did not have a receipt (had pictures of the installation), but the unit was much smaller and would not fit the length of wood already cut.

I sold the warranty to get some money and used that to get a Pacific Energy Summit.

I will never purchase another regency after my experience. They did provide a smaller unit under warranty which was a nice gesture, especially since I did not have a receipt (had pictures of the installation), but the unit was much smaller and would not fit the length of wood already cut.

I sold the warranty to get some money and used that to get a Pacific Energy Summit.
The Regency insert was not the issue. Strong draft causing the overdraft plus a lack of instrumentation led to inadvertent overfiring of the insert. Correcting these issues would help either stove.

Both the Summit and the i3100 are easy-breathing stoves. They work quite well on a short 1 story chimney. However, a 25+ ft. flue system can put them into overdraft range. This is true of other inserts as well, but few (maybe none?) directly address this issue with a dealer-guided modification. This is likely due to EPA testing and UL certifications which are at a fixed draft.

Reactions: davidmsem
The Regency insert was not the issue. Strong draft causing the overdraft plus a lack of instrumentation led to inadvertent overfiring of the insert. Correcting these issues would help either stove.

Both the Summit and the i3100 are easy-breathing stoves. They work quite well on a short 1 story chimney. However, a 25+ ft. flue system can put them into overdraft range. This is true of other inserts as well, but few (maybe none?) directly address this issue with a dealer-guided modification. This is likely due to EPA testing and UL certifications which are at a fixed draft.

I understand your points well.

My takeaway (and warning to others) is that Regency made the process much more difficult than it needed to be. I asked for an allowance toward a more expensive unit in their line and they refused. So they added a bunch of work and aggravation to me. That's fine, they just lost a customer. I'm certain they will do just fine without my business.