Regency I3100 Replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

creek chub

Sep 28, 2015
Va
My current insert is damaged and I’m going through the warranty claim process.

My current insert is no longer made. I’m not sure what regency will offer.

If available, similar inserts are an issue, would I be able to install a wood stove with a blower and expect similar heat output?

I don’t think my hearth is very deep to accommodate a large stove though and was wondering if most stoves are compatible with my existing 6” stainless steel liner?

Many thanks

My current insert is damaged and I’m going through the warranty claim process.

My current insert is no longer made. I’m not sure what regency will offer.

If available, similar inserts are an issue, would I be able to install a wood stove with a blower and expect similar heat output?

I don’t think my hearth is very deep to accommodate a large stove though and was wondering if most stoves are compatible with my existing 6” stainless steel liner?

Many thanks
Yes most stoves will work with 6" stainless. A freestanding stove will put off more radiant heat and not rely on a blower as much. But not if it is stuffed back on a fireplace. An insert is made to go in a fireplace and has a full convective jacket to help get heat out of the firebox. A stove doesn't.

Yes most stoves will work with 6" stainless. A freestanding stove will put off more radiant heat and not rely on a blower as much. But not if it is stuffed back on a fireplace. An insert is made to go in a fireplace and has a full convective jacket to help get heat out of the firebox. A stove doesn't.
I may consider a stove that isn’t fully recessed to get the benefit of radiant heat but not sure I’ll go that route quite yet. My wife definitely likes the looks of an insert over a wood stove.

Better off insert for fireplace install.

Reactions: creek chub
I like my stove in the fireplace. It sits almost even with the front of the fireplace. The issue limiting stove choice is fireplace opening height. what is yours? I have a generic dual squirrel cage blower sitting on the floor behind my stove. I use it about 50% of the time. Mine is a cast iron radiant stove. It takes a good 12 hours to get the masonry hot and the stove really putting all the heat into the room but the good thing is the masonry is hold heat for 12-18 hours. I don’t think it’s a good solution for everyone, but if we want a fire on a not very cold day it’s great. If this is an external chimney I probably would stick with an insert so you can insulate.

76802785-2494-4FE8-B117-CAB1E224EAE2.jpeg

Last edited:
I like my stove in the fireplace. It sits almost even with the front of the fireplace. The issue limiting stove choice is fireplace opening height. what is yours? I have a generic dual squirrel cage blower sitting on the floor behind my stove. I use it about 50% of the time. Mine is a cast iron radiant stove. It takes a good 12 hours to get the masonry hot and the stove really putting all the heat into the room but the good thing is the masonry is hold heat for 12-18 hours. I don’t think it’s a good solution for everyone, but if we want a fire on a not very cold day it’s great. If this is an external chimney I probably would stick with an insert so you can insulate.

View attachment 285176
Nice looking set up. My opening height is 31 inches. It’s is 21 inches deep and 36 inches wide at the opening and tapers to 29.5 inches in the back.

Nice looking set up. My opening height is 31 inches. It’s is 21 inches deep and 36 inches wide at the opening and tapers to 29.5 inches in the back.
My height is 29” I think I’m 42” wide so Jotuls with short legs are an option for you, but I don’t think they are the best option at the moment but I do think they aren a solution. happy to answer any questions

Evan

My height is 29” I think I’m 42” wide so Jotuls with short legs are an option for you, but I don’t think they are the best option at the moment but I do think they aren a solution. happy to answer any questions

Evan
Thanks for the info Evan. Once I hear back from regency, I should have a better idea what my options are.

Does the squirrel cage blower put out much heat?

Does the squirrel cage blower put out much heat?
On high it drops the stove top temps by 80-100 degrees. It moves 100 cfm or there abouts so I can run the stove hotter without over heating it. Short answer we can debate more heat it but it increases convection so I think it’s heats the room faster. One could make a better shroud or and it could work better. As of now it just blows up the back of the stove taking air from each side. It’s not super quiet but for what I paid it’s fine.

I’m going through the warranty replacement process for my regency 3100 insert.

I’m clueless about the process since the 3100 is no longer made, I think it’s likely they will offer a smaller replacement that is worth lower than what I paid for my insert.

I have cash to add if there is a comparable insert. Any suggestions how to proceed??

The 3100 had a shallow and wide firebox. If they offer the i2450 that's not a bad insert and the firebox is deeper.

What length is the current firewood cut to?

The 3100 had a shallow and wide firebox. If they offer the i2450 that's not a bad insert and the firebox is deeper.

What length is the current firewood cut to?
I try to keep everything cut to about 16”. I’m sure some are longer since I eyeball it when I’m blocking up a tree.