regency i3100 vs. Hearthstone Clydesdale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caputcastellae

Nov 7, 2014
Ithaca NY
I am the ultimate newbie but we just got a house with a huge open fireplace and we want to put a wood insert to serve as our primary source of heat. the house is a1,900 sqf contemporary one (think ranch-style with really high cathedral ceilings). The floor plan is very open and the unit will be in the middle of a big open room. I have considered a lot of different units (Jotul c550, PE Neo 2.5, Regency Ci2600, etc.) but after reading many of the threads here we have narrow the search down to the i3100 or the clydesdale. We (wife & I) like the looks of the clydesdale better but seems that the i3100 might provide better (more extended) burning times. We also like the soapstone factor (bigger heating mass, steadier release of heat?) but we cannot make out our minds. the i3100 is significantly cheaper and most people describe as a work horse. Any help comments are most welcome.
Thanks

Both will work, but the Regency has a bit more capacity. In PE this would be comparable to the Summit. The Clydesdale is more closer to the Enviro Kodiak (or Boston) 1700 and the Neo 2.5 in capacity.

I don't know about the Clydesdale, but with my i3100 I am easily getting at least a 10 hour burn on a full load of oak splits. Tgis will be my second season of burning and I am extremely happy with the performance of the Regency. It easily heatd our 2600 square foot colonial, some of that spills into an addition of about another 400 square feet.

Thanks for the comments thus far. We do like the bigger capacity of the 3100 (which you can easily load n/s) but we have been told that a unit with a soapstone liner (hearthstone) is better even if the capacity is about 20% smaller. The argument is that the higher heating capacity of the stone will compensate for the difference, providing steadier heat. Is that accurate?

Ditto for me, do not know the Clydesdale, but have 12 years on the Regency I3100 insert, as the primary heat source for 2,200 sq ft, The I3100 or F3100 are workhorses, with long burn times, large box and large opening, for 20" + cuts when you get them, as well 12" that can go other way, so really versatile, with a large box capacity....no regrets

The Clydesdale is an excellent insert, but soapstone lining is not a direct substitute for capacity. The soapstone will retain, then release heat over time, but so will the mass of a stove. When you need extra horsepower, the extra capacity helps meet the demand.

Your main nemesis is those high ceilings. They can make it a bear to heat regardless. At a minimum you will need ceiling fans running to help break up the heat stratification at the ceiling peaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.