Regency vs Heat&Glo Propane Fireplace inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

alcam

Jan 5, 2017
CentralMass
We're looking at having a couple of different propane gas heated fireplace inserts into our zero clearance fireplace.

One is a Heat&Glo Supreme-130

The other is a Regency E21

The questions we have here are:

1. Reliability. Is one companies stoves more reliable than the others?
2. Efficiency. Any experience or knowledge of these stoves efficiency ratings.
3. Parts availability and costs?
4. Has anyone here had either of these companies propane gas stoves installed in a fireplace, zero clearance or otherwise?

We used to have a free standing pellet stove (Lopi Yankee) which we sold to a friend who is very happy with it. I wanted to replace it with a free standing wood stove, but my wife doesn't like the room it takes up in the living room, so she decided that an insert is the way to go, and we can't do that with wood because of the zero clearance style. We are NOT interested in tearing it apart and rebuilding, so propane is the option moving forward.
This website was a great deal of help and information when we had the pellet stove, so we're looking forward to any help anyone may provide on this subject

Both are reputable companies. I have an older HnG LP insert & it's been reliable for 12 years.
Needed a replacement thermocouple once & I've replaced the glowing embers 3-4 times.
Regency makes really good heaters. I think their flame patterns are not as realistic as the
HnG flames, but that's my opinion & yours may vary. I believe both are in the 80% efficiency
range, & if you get a standing pilot/piezo igniter unit, they are virtually foolproof.
I'm not a big fan of the newer IPI units, because more electronics lead to more
possible problems. Your call, I guess...
Go to your hearth shop & look at both. Play around
with the remotes. Adjust the flames. Listen to the blowers.
Bottom line, get the one your wife likes.